Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stream Quality
Music 
Hello together

I have been using two Phantom II (as a pair) since December and have tried out various configurations. Currently I stream via Qobuz via AirPlay or UPnP.
In terms of sound, I can't hear the difference in a blind test. Am I in the (lucky) situation of not hearing this or have I configured something wrong?
What tracks can you recommend where the difference is obvious?

And finally, one last question: Is it worth upgrading to the Phantom I or are they just louder?

Thanks from Lucerne
AirPlay is limited to 16bit 44.1kHz. If you play CD resolution (which is 16/44.1) from Qobuz there will be little (or no) difference between AirPlay and UPnP. For higher rez material like 24/96 you may be able to hear a difference, provided that UPnP transfers 24/96 to the speakers. (Note that the speaker will internally downsample to 24/48). If the master recording is the 24/96 version and the CD (resolution) is made from this master you'll have a good starting point of hearing a difference.

For your second question I hope someone owning both Phantom I and II can answer Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I own both, the way I like to describe it is by size... the pair of phantom II aka reactors sound like a good set of bookshelf speakers in size. The phantom1 aka premiere sounds like a larger floor standing speaker. Yes the gold is louder as well but it’s the size of the sound that really sets it apart from the phantom II
(11-Apr-2021, 02:48)TechGuy Wrote: I own both, the way I like to describe it is by size... the pair of phantom II aka reactors sound like a good set of bookshelf speakers in size.  The phantom1 aka premiere sounds like a larger floor standing speaker.  Yes the gold is louder as well but it’s the size of the sound that really sets it apart from the phantom II

I own both and I definitively stick with this comment as well. For me two different leagues.
i also own the reactors 900 in stereo and the phantom gold in stereo.
But sometimes i prefer the phantom reactor 900 somehow..
At my place the reactors sounds a bit more open..

I am even thinking selling my phantom golds,or maybe replace them with the phantom 1(classic)
OK, that doesn't make it easy. Guess, I've to try the Phantom I as well.

@ogs
The "problem" with the resolution of Airplay was exactly the point to give UPnP a try. I've streamed Qobuz Hi-Res Songs via mconnect to the Phantom II and couldn't hear any differences. So the Problem could be the downsampling to 24/48 of the speaker?
Does the Phantom I also downsampling to 25/48?

How do you connect them to hear any differences between 16/44.1 and 24/96 or 24/192?
(11-Apr-2021, 11:28)john2910 Wrote: i also own the reactors 900 in stereo and the phantom gold in stereo.

I am even thinking selling my phantom golds,or maybe replace them with the phantom 1(classic)

I guess you won’t get any benefit replacing Golds with the Classic. I own a classic as well. You will just have less power and slightly different sonic timbre in the medium high frequency range (cause of the different tweeter). That you might like anyway but worth a try before such a change.
(11-Apr-2021, 13:08)massi.rav Wrote:
(11-Apr-2021, 11:28)john2910 Wrote: i also own the reactors 900 in stereo and the phantom gold in stereo.

I guess you won’t get any benefit replacing Golds with the Classic. I own a classic as well. You will just have less power and slightly different sonic timbre in the medium high frequency range (cause of the different tweeter). That you might like anyway but worth a try before such a change.

I heard the new phantom I (mat white)sound a little more open because off the updated proccesor inside.. but i could be wrong
(11-Apr-2021, 12:09)Lubu Wrote: Does the Phantom I also downsampling to 25/48?

Yes, it's DOS2 that does the downsampling (my guess is the 48kHz limit has always been there, even in DOS1. Devialet just didn't tell us). The main difference would be 16 vs 24bit, not the downsampling to 48kHz. All Phantoms support UPnP so I'd use that. Many like Audirvana (UPnP). Another good solution is Roon (RAAT is maybe the best streaming protocol). If you hear no difference,. don't worry!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Photo 
(10-Apr-2021, 14:56)Lubu Wrote: Hello together

I have been using two Phantom II (as a pair) since December and have tried out various configurations. Currently I stream via Qobuz via AirPlay or UPnP.
In terms of sound, I can't hear the difference in a blind test. Am I in the (lucky) situation of not hearing this or have I configured something wrong?
What tracks can you recommend where the difference is obvious?

And finally, one last question: Is it worth upgrading to the Phantom I or are they just louder?

Thanks from Lucerne

Question 1: The French newspaper Le Monde made a blind test with a sample of sound engineers and musicians comparing the CD quality and the Hires version of the same music on high end gear.  None of the participants could reliably tell the Hires version from the CD quality version. So you are not alone.  Hires is important at the recording stage. Most of the recordings from the 70s sound bad on CD as well as on Hires because the recorders were either analog or digital with low resolution.  I have tried both CD quality and 24/96 on Qobuz using Audirvana and optical cable from Macpro to the phantoms. There seems to be a difference on records of live concerts in big concert rooms (such as cathedrals), but I am not even sure of this. 
One good test is this Laurent Woulzy: le concert du Mont St Michel.

Question 2: I own both and I can tell you I enjoy my Phantom II in my bedroom as much as I enjoy my Phantom I gold in my living room. They sound very close.  The Phantom I can play louder and fill a bigger room and the bass goes a tad deeper.  The phantom II reactor is just a fantastic bargain. If you want to improve your set up, buy them legs. I really makes a difference imo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac