Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stream Quality
(10-Apr-2021, 14:56)Lubu Wrote: Hello together

I have been using two Phantom II (as a pair) since December and have tried out various configurations. Currently I stream via Qobuz via AirPlay or UPnP.
In terms of sound, I can't hear the difference in a blind test. Am I in the (lucky) situation of not hearing this or have I configured something wrong?
What tracks can you recommend where the difference is obvious?

And finally, one last question: Is it worth upgrading to the Phantom I or are they just louder?

Thanks from Lucerne

You are not alone: a blind test on 140 audiophile respondents was carried out via internet, providing them with a 16/44 and a 24/96 version of 3 music files. They  had to guess which was  the Hires 24 bit version. The results are exactly what would be expected if people had chosen by flipping a coin: 50% chose the right Hires version, vs 50% for the CD quality version for the first 2 pieces, in fact for the 3rd one they did worse than by choosing by chance...and the subsample of professional musician did worse than average, choosing more often the 16 bit version over the 24bit version. The subsample with very expensive audio gear did no better than average either.

"As you can see, in aggregate there is no evidence to show that the 140 respondents were able to identify the 24-bit sample. In fact it was an exact 50/50 for the Vivaldi and Goldberg! As for the Bozza sample, more respondents actually thought the dithered 16-bit version was the "better" sounding 24-bit file (statistically non-significant however, p-value 0.28).

Looking at the individual responses, there were a total of 20 respondents who correctly identified the B-A-A selection of 24-bit samples, and 21 selected the opposite A-B-B. This too is in line with expectations that 17.5 would pick each of these patterns based on chance alone."

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/06/24...ce%20alone.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/06/24...rt-ii.html
As you can see, in aggregate there is no evidence to show that the 140 respondents were able to identify the 24-bit sample. In fact it was an exact 50/50 for the Vivaldi and Goldberg! As for t

Let us have a look at the results reported by those who rated their confidence level as 4 or 5 ("very confident" to "certain" - 25-30% of all the responses):
"Correct" responses being the ones who were successful in identifying the 24-bit sample. As can be seen, there is no evidence to suggest that even in those respondents with a strong sense of confidence were able to identify the 24-bit sample (as sounding better). In fact, for the Goldberg sample, only 44% of those who were quite "certain" selected the 24-bit version correctly.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac