Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streamer with Phantoms & Long Distance Listening
Hi guys,

I am intending to setup my whole house with either Sonos or Denon Heos.

If I plug in a Sonos Connect or Denon Heos Link into the optical in of the Dialog, would I be able to group my songs and play them together in sync ? Or would there be a lag in the Phantoms ? If so, how do I solve the lag issue and make them sync perfectly in all the rooms ?

Also, for a rectangular room that is 8m x 7m, with the Phantoms placed all the way to the end of the long side and guests sitting at the other end of the long end of the room, would the phantoms sound as good as 8" in-ceiling speakers in a row ? I understand that the phantoms are very powerful speakers. However, will it still sound as good sitting at such distance ?

Cheers
Phantom won't work right with other speakers, lag wise and sound wise. Ceiling speakers will always loose to Phantoms (or other shelf speakers) due to direction of the sound. Phantoms will sound good in a room which is 8 meters long.
Thanks for the reply.

In that case, why are there so many people suggesting to use a Sonos Connect hooked up to the Phantoms if they can't sync multi room?
Sonos Connect is a good streaming device but then again it relies on a Dialog to make multiple Phantoms work in sync. It won't make time-correction for the Phantoms in different rooms. I see two options here:
1. You will install single Sonos Connect and Dialog and then use Spark to connect different rooms into a single entity to make everything work.
2. You will install multiple Sonos Connect devices, single Dialog to connect all Phantoms and then use Sonos software to make multiroom work. If you will be playing same music to multiple Sonos Connect no one could guarantee that this playback won't be lagging across different rooms (given that Sonos have to send the signal to Phantom, then it has to send it to Dialog and Dialog will make time correction for other Phantoms in the room).
I don't use Phantoms, but I have been using a multi room Sonos setup for many years.  If you have a separate  Sonos Connect connected via optical to each Phantom and no Dialogue , you won't get any lag.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England