Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming BubbleUpnp to Phantom Gold...
I'm using Windows Media Player 12 on my laptop and stream to Phantom Gold.
Then I tried to stream from Android using BubbleUpnp and the sound is not the same (not very good)
Is Windows Wasapi better than the Bubble driver?
Sounds like Bubble is using a lossy stream. I do not think Wasapi is involved in DLNA streaming from Windows, but I might be wrong of course. If Phantoms turn up as devices directly in Windows it is probably DLNA, and, as such Bubble should do the same. Following that, the sound should also be about the same unless Bubble uses some kind of lossy stream. Bluetooth maybe...?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-Apr-2020, 18:46)ogs Wrote: Sounds like Bubble is using a lossy stream. I do not think Wasapi is involved in DLNA streaming from Windows, but I might be wrong of course. If Phantoms turn up as devices directly in Windows it is probably DLNA, and, as such Bubble should do the same. Following that, the sound should also be about the same unless Bubble uses some kind of lossy stream. Bluetooth maybe...?
Windows Media Player 12 is using WASAPI when streaming - sounds great.
The sounds from Bubble is a more heavy bass. The bass can be reduced from Spark using night mode setting.
Aha. So WASAPI sits in front of the DLNA stack or is DLNA now part of WASAPI? I've never used WMP so I do not know how it works. You are streaming to Phantoms with DLNA/UPnP?
With and without night mode is quite a big difference AFAIK. Too big in my view if the same streaming protocol is used from both Windows and Bubble. My Devialet experience comes from a 250 Pro CI. I've tried AIR and RAAT from Roon and UPnP (Minimserver and others, not Bubble as a streamer). The three sounded very similar, audiophile level differences, but almost indistinguishable to an untrained ear.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(16-Apr-2020, 09:00)ogs Wrote: Aha. So WASAPI sits in front of the DLNA stack or is DLNA now part of WASAPI? I've never used WMP so I do not know how it works. You are streaming to Phantoms with DLNA/UPnP?
With and without night mode is quite a big difference AFAIK. Too big in my view if the same streaming protocol is used from both Windows and Bubble. My Devialet experience comes from a 250 Pro CI. I've tried AIR and RAAT from Roon and UPnP (Minimserver and others, not Bubble as a streamer). The three sounded very similar,  audiophile level differences, but almost indistinguishable to an untrained ear.
I'm streaming from Windows to Phantoms with Upnp (no Bubble on the PC).
I'm also trying to stream from a Android box using Bubble to my Phantom. However this sound is not as good as the WMP player.
Yes night mode is not a solution but I had to try it.
The more I use WMP the more I like it - very versatile compared other software and then it's free.
As an extra Upnp I have installed SWYH (Stream what you hear) however this sound is not as good as the WMP streaming but can be very useful for other kind of streaming.
SWYH streams either 16bit LPCM (since v1.2) or MP3 to DLNA. Seems to default to 320kbps MP3. Do you get sound from Phantoms when streaming 16bit LPCM?
Devialetless!
I am running a UPnP setup using MinimServer and BubbleUPnP app.  I have also used WMP when I first tried UPnP and also use Spark (am still on DOS1).

Some clarifications:
  • Spark does not use UPnP (and you can use it without needing to enable UPnP)
  • BubbleUPnp can play directly to the Phantom (and I assume you have a single one)
  • Assume your music is either on your phone or PC
Firstly, sound quality.  There is a small difference between Spark, BubbleUPnP and WMS, but not to the extent that you have found.  Please check that the music on phone is the same as PC version.  With both Spark and BubbleUPnP having too much bass, it suggests that something else is influencing the music. Please check sound settings on phone  e.g. equaliser.  Or maybe another App has taken over the music process?  Borrow someone's phone and see whether it has the same problem.

While WMP is free, I found it clumsy to use.  Casting to the Phantom is not intuitive and sometimes, casting fails.  Having a large playlist is a nightmare. Too many tracks in the queue and it would hang. Managing playlists is not easy.  I also had problems finding a phone App to control WMS.  I tried hard to make WMS work (because I liked FREE!) but it had far too many compromises.  

I ended up using Minimserver to get music from my NAS and found that BubbleUPnP App on my phone worked for me.
(16-Apr-2020, 12:48)ogs Wrote: SWYH streams either 16bit LPCM (since v1.2)  or MP3 to DLNA. Seems to default to 320kbps MP3. Do you get sound from Phantoms when streaming 16bit LPCM?
Using SWYH I can't see how it's streaming. It's directly from PC to Phantom.
(16-Apr-2020, 12:56)Snoopy8 Wrote: I am running a UPnP setup using MinimServer and BubbleUPnP app.  I have also used WMP when I first tried UPnP and also use Spark (am still on DOS1).

Some clarifications:
  • Spark does not use UPnP (and you can use it without needing to enable UPnP)
  • BubbleUPnp can play directly to the Phantom (and I assume you have a single one)
  • Assume your music is either on your phone or PC
Firstly, sound quality.  There is a small difference between Spark, BubbleUPnP and WMS, but not to the extent that you have found.  Please check that the music on phone is the same as PC version.  With both Spark and BubbleUPnP having too much bass, it suggests that something else is influencing the music. Please check sound settings on phone  e.g. equaliser.  Or maybe another App has taken over the music process?  Borrow someone's phone and see whether it has the same problem.

While WMP is free, I found it clumsy to use.  Casting to the Phantom is not intuitive and sometimes, casting fails.  Having a large playlist is a nightmare. Too many tracks in the queue and it would hang. Managing playlists is not easy.  I also had problems finding a phone App to control WMS.  I tried hard to make WMS work (because I liked FREE!) but it had far too many compromises.  

I ended up using Minimserver to get music from my NAS and found that BubbleUPnP App on my phone worked for me.
I have no Phone. It's an Android box.
I use the same music files on both devices.
WMP works perfect on the PC. Large playlists are not a problem. A click on favourites and it shuffles 8 hours of music.
It's very easy to mix albums and shuffle them - no need to create a playlist.
I have tried different trial Upnp music software. WMP seems the best.
Maybe the bass problem playing on the Android is a device issue.
(16-Apr-2020, 13:24)Rudolph Wrote: Using SWYH I can't see how it's streaming. It's directly from PC to Phantom.

It's a configuration in SWYH settings:

Devialetless!