Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming from Synology NAS
Wink 
Hi guys, 
I just bought 1 single Devialet Phantom Elevate (with Treepod) and I must say I'm Amazed by the quality of sound. I can't believe how powerfull bass such a small box is able to procure. I might upgrade in the future to a pair for stereo but it's a good start !

I wanted to being able to stream personal music database from NAS, the same way I use Plex for movies. Unfortunatly, there is no way to stream music from Plex apps to the Phantom.
I know Roon is probably the cleanest way to go but my music database is not large enough to justify the spending.
I found another way to have my Synology NAS music folder (or iTunes xml) to appear in the Spark application, on any single device of the familly without living one computer on.
The idea was to create a Windows VM directly on the NAS using the Virtual Machine Manager. My NAS is a 716+II with upgraded memory to 8GB. It's Celeron is not fast but powerful enough to run Windows 10.
It's a 15 min process, follow these steps : https://miketabor.com/how-to-create-a-vi...ology-nas/
Once created, the Windows 10 VM needs only 2 others things :
1) the Devialet application for Windows downloaded from Devialet's website
2) A permanent network share to the NAS folder where the music is located.
And your done !
The VM will appear in Spark with the default computer name assigned during setup (you can change it) and your music will be available anytime, assuming the VM is running as background service on your NAS.

Sheers from France, Tongue
Hi and welcome.

FYI,
Synology's DS Audio (Audio station) is able to stream music over DLNA to Spark.
DS Audio is a much better and reliable player than Spark.
I didn't understand why you needed a VM when a simple network share could have done the job... unless you run an OS that is not compatible with Spark.

alternatively you could have installed Spark on an Iphone, Ipad or an Android devices.