Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming from iDevice via USB input
I'm trialling the new TIDAL lossless streaming service and can stream from an iPod/iPad to my Naim NDX via its USB Type A input. The sound quality is good but I guess it will be even better if I stream directly to my 200.

The standard cable supplied with iDevices is Lightning to USB Type A but the 200 has a Type B input. I've searched but can't find any Lightning to USB Type B cables in UK retailers. Will a simple Type A to Type B adapter work or is different wiring required? I've ordered a cheap one to try anyway.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

By the way, to get USB streaming to work from the iPod to the Naim NDX it's necessary to start playing music using Music/iTunes and then switch to the TIDAL app - strange but only a minor irritation Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Apple sells a lightning to USB adapter cable as a camera connection kit but there are 3rd party manufacturers that sell similar items. I have no idea if the iPod/iPad etc. support the XMOS USB audio implementation inside the Devialets though.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821Z...ra-adapter

See also: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4106
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(12-Nov-2014, 19:07)Antoine Wrote: Apple sells a lightning to USB adapter cable as a camera connection kit but there are 3rd party manufacturers that sell similar items. I have no idea if the iPod/iPad etc. support the XMOS USB audio implementation inside the Devialets though.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821Z...ra-adapter

See also: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4106

Thanks. I saw the camera adapter on the store but from the photos it looks like a USB Type A not B.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Sorry Phil, I misunderstood your post. The apple adapter has a female A connector. So you could use any standard USB cable. But I'm sure a regular A to B adapter will work from a USB perspective.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(12-Nov-2014, 11:33)PhilP Wrote: I'm trialling the new TIDAL lossless streaming service and can stream from an iPod/iPad to my Naim NDX via its USB Type A input. The sound quality is good but I guess it will be even better if I stream directly to my 200.

Phil - you might find that it's more than just a matter of finding a suitable cable. Based on experience at work, I believe that the USB host needs to have special drivers for Apple devices in order to be able to stream audio from them. I'm not sure whether the Devialet will have those drivers already in its firmware.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that the Devialet can behave as a USB host anyway. (That would be consistent with it having a Type B rather than Type A connector.) Some Apple devices can switch roles and become USB hosts to stream audio to a target device (e.g. in-car systems) but again this requires some Apple-specific protocols to be supported by the other device.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but hoping to help you avoid a possible wild goose chase...

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(12-Nov-2014, 21:38)thumb5 Wrote:
(12-Nov-2014, 11:33)PhilP Wrote: I'm trialling the new TIDAL lossless streaming service and can stream from an iPod/iPad to my Naim NDX via its USB Type A input. The sound quality is good but I guess it will be even better if I stream directly to my 200.

Phil - you might find that it's more than just a matter of finding a suitable cable. Based on experience at work, I believe that the USB host needs to have special drivers for Apple devices in order to be able to stream audio from them. I'm not sure whether the Devialet will have those drivers already in its firmware.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that the Devialet can behave as a USB host anyway. (That would be consistent with it having a Type B rather than Type A connector.) Some Apple devices can switch roles and become USB hosts to stream audio to a target device (e.g. in-car systems) but again this requires some Apple-specific protocols to be supported by the other device.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but hoping to help you avoid a possible wild goose chase...

Ian

Oh b****r! I thought it would be as easy as connecting to the NDX. Oh well, I will try the adapter when it arrives and report back. I'm only doing this 'cos the TIDAL desktop doesn't run on my old iMac and I thought the SQ would be better than going through the NDX. I was a bit surprised that no-one else seems to have tried this but I haven't seen mention of it anywhere.

BTW, I've kept my old iMac at 10.6.8 because it's a totally bomb-proof configuration with the various apps I have - maybe I will have to give in and upgrade to Mavericks or buy a new Mac...
Yes, worth a try anyway. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

I held out on Snow Leopard for a long time (for the same reason as you) but have found Mountain Lion (10.8) to run quite well on my MacBook Pro, which is over six years old. Not sure whether that's still available but it might be an easier step than going straight to Mavericks.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(12-Nov-2014, 21:51)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, worth a try anyway. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

I held out on Snow Leopard for a long time (for the same reason as you) but have found Mountain Lion (10.8) to run quite well on my MacBook Pro, which is over six years old. Not sure whether that's still available but it might be an easier step than going straight to Mavericks.

According to Apple the migration from Snow Leopard to Mavericks is easy - yeah, I bet Wink

I will make multiple back-ups + I have Snow Leopard on a disc just in case.
I would be interested in the results with the USB version of the camera connection kit. Tidal will not work on my MB as I am getting only about 1/30 of the download speed from my ISP required for Tidal etc but Tidal off line could work with my iPad.
(12-Nov-2014, 21:38)thumb5 Wrote:

Ian

The USB Type A to Type B adapter finally arrived. I connected my iPod to the USB input on the Devialet and pressed play and nothing happened. No surprise really but it was worth a go... As you said, the Devialet USB port was almost certainly never intended to work in this way.