Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-out solution & settling on a Sub for my system
After rather a lot of faffing about and experimentation, I found the well-kept secret that allowed sub out to work on my D400!

When you get the D400 or add a 200 companion, the configurator helpfully shows the sub-out being the bottom (companion) output next to the link connector twix both amps. The corresponding top one on the master shows as disabled 'pre'.

...and with very little else to steer you, you assume (stupidly as in my case) that there is some sort of electronic wizardry that allows such a mono out... ummmmm no! Hrs & hrs were spent trying different things out with absolutely no success, even when you find the option for your remote to make the middle button the on-off sub button, or fiddle with all the settings on the 4th or 5th menu down on the 'tone/balance' button!
Dealers, bless them, didn't really reveal anything new either, and now, I have found the solution, I am guessing their demo stuff consists of a single D200 or 120 only!

So what did I find? (by accident)

Again, fiddling with my heart still sinking, I noticed that the upper (of the two monoblocks) 'pre' connector once activated, had another option I did not notice before (yes! another Sub out!)... and then all fell into place! BOTH sub outs MUST be activated with identical mono settings, giving right & left outs respectively. Once BOTH are activated, then that middle remote button suddenly transforms & shows three small circles above the 'SUB' word. By moving the dial, you select between the two outers (separate left & right subs presumably if you have two), or the centre circle that indicates you are connecting to a single sub via both 'outs'.

Right or wrong... this worked ! HOOOORAY! at frikkin last!

Oh why oh why don't Devialet give numpties like me a clue! Their documentation on the subject is woefully inadequate, to the point of being useless for twin Dev users - unless there is another doc hidden somewhere? But two well-respected dealers also could not shed any light on the subject either?

So back to my quest... what SubWoofer do I go for? Tried the REL S3 (admittedly with high level inputs), tried a SVS SB13 using the newly found low level option... REL OK - nice looking but...

The SVS pressed all the right buttons for me - Problem is the sheer size of the thing! It is a bit of a monster for an average UK home! Not sure on the big metal grille thingy either! Not very Wife-friendly!

Both REL & SVS have the controls at the back of the units, which is a faff, and difficult to see when setting up though...

After lots more looking at reviews, I have concluded that maybe, just maybe the JL E110 might fit the bill? The controls are at the front, which is a good move, and it is quite small compared to SVS. Reviews seem to point at the 10 inch as being able to hold its own in the deep bass department, against much bigger brethren? Has anyone used these?

Did look at the F110, but heck... the price puts it out of my reach...

And I could not find any comparison reviews betwix the E110 and F110 which is a shame. So why is it so much more expensive?

...later I might see if my finances could stretch to two of the E110s, but that would be later...

The only problem I see is that UK dealers don't seem to have the E110 displayed on their website, the dealer list is small, and the cost seems to be reflecting the £=$ rate yet again! No idea on warranty either.... Looks like you can however get them through fleabay direct from the USA which was a bit of a surprise, and at a more reasonable price!

Any thoughts or input would be grateful....
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Hello - great to hear that you've decoded the puzzle! And thanks for recording the solution for posterity.

I agree that the E110 and F110 both look pretty tempting. I believe Antoine has a JL Audio sub (F112?) so may be able to comment on the range. Just a word of caution, though: I was also interested in the E110/F110 available on eBay and contacted the seller to ask a couple of questions. They are US power supply (so you'd need a step-down transformer to use them on UK mains) and the warranty is not valid in the UK.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Aug-2015, 16:46)thumb5 Wrote: Hello - great to hear that you've decoded the puzzle!  And thanks for recording the solution for posterity.

I agree that the E110 and F110 both look pretty tempting.  I believe Antoine has a JL Audio sub (F112?) so may be able to comment on the range.  Just a word of caution, though: I was also interested in the E110/F110 available on eBay and contacted the seller to ask a couple of questions.  They are US power supply (so you'd need a step-down transformer to use them on UK mains) and the warranty is not valid in the UK.

Thanks Thumb5, I sussed that one!
I have al;ready fired off a question to the supplier and will be intrigued to see his answer, if any!

Cannot find much info in the UK though, and no dealer I have found so far lists them on their website!

Don't get me wrong though, the SVS SB13 Ultra is very good, but it is far too big!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I believe Musicraft (Derby) is the - or at least, a - UK dealer.
Warwickshire, UK
There are other UK dealers I believe:

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/header/Dealer+L...io/2687041

Sometimes the sub woofers are listed as home cinema rather than audio (sorry  if I am teaching Granny to suck eggs Smile

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Not sure if any dealers are available in the UK, but I really recommend Triad subwoofers out of Portland Oregon. Stumbled across them buy coinsedence here in Germany and was really impressed. Not much to look at, but the bass is crisp, pack a lot of wallop, and they go really low.... :-)
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
when using the sub out for another amp does the DAC still work
(06-Sep-2015, 04:45)dylanttt Wrote: when using the sub out for another amp does the DAC still work

Hello - I'm not sure what you mean...  What do you want to achieve in terms of inputs and outputs?
Warwickshire, UK
A very musical sub that has enough oomph for movies that is a little smaller and a whole lot prettier.

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current...e=overview

This is a newly introduced model.
This is the model that it replaces http://www.paradigm.com/products-archive...e=overview
The replaced model can currently be found in some markets at run-out prices. Not sure about UK.
I bought a Sub-12 recently at less than 1/2 RRP with a "Perfect Bass Kit" included.

The Sub-12 is a bit larger than the new model.
It's been a great performer in my small to medium sized room.
I was able to achieve an acceptable level of integration with my Magico S1's easily. In fact, the integration has been so acceptable that I have been very slow to start the chase to dialing it in to the even better level of integration that I am sure that it is capable of.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
Coincidentally I have JL Audio F110’s, a Triad InRoom Silver, and a REL Habitat Sub in different systems. For my D400 system, I have a pair of F110’s and love them. Hard to compare across different systems but head-to-head subjectively I would give the F110 a 10 rating, the Triad an 8.5, and the REL an 8. None of these are the mfg.’s top model, but the F110 is more expensive and higher in the line than my particular models from Triad and REL so the rankings could be different with different models from the others. One important feature of the F110 compared to the E110 is that F110 gives a reasonably good room correction capability that adds a lot given that can be a challenge otherwise with a Devialet.
D440CI (Audio Prana XLR-RCA); Nordost Frey; Raidho C1.2; Artcoustic Impact-1 SL subs (4); VPI Scout; Oppo BDP-205; Roon Nucleus+; Shunyata Alpha and PC10 cabling; Stillpoint Ultra SS