Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Subwoofer
Thanks for the feedback Simon.

You have a lovely system, It must sound good :-)

On my agenda is to also try letting my front speakers go a little deeper.

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Hi Hifi_swlon

I just put in the corner of the room, as pr. JL recommendations, on their webpage there is information about placement, I guess that the information is valid for all brands of subwoofers.

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
I can speak quite highly for the Wilson Benesch Torus because

- it is pretty
- it is innovative
- it is not too big
- it is really able to be integrated well with the Devialet/your speakers in terms of cut and slope and intensity

although not so highly because

- it is expensive
- its very low frequency capability is limited
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
A couple of months ago I added two ELAC-2090 subs with very good results. JL Audio would have been the other option. The advantage of ELAC is that it has DSP inside which is practically a must if you want to integrate properly and deal with room issues (nodes and modes), too. Also, it seems that every expert says that for even results you need at least two subs (four is optimal, and not only for HT).
I tried crossing at 40Hz, 65Hz, 80Hz and settled at 80Hz (both high-pass and low-pass filters). I had really bad modes in the room at around 62 Hz, so I can take care of that through DSP in the sub. To set the whole thing (phase, parametric EQ, etc) I really needed to take measurements. I ended up buying XTZ Room Analyzer Pro II which is perfect for this. Sometimes we spend huge amounts on cables and accessories and don't even know if we have any serious issues with the room.
I found a lot of useful stuff here: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/categor...libration/

I am still finalising the sub set-up but quite happy already.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Does anyone know how SAM affects the settings of a subwoofer?

I used to use a REL Strata with my Yamaha NS 1000M's, and set it up to mirror the published curves of the Yamaha. However, I don't know how SAM modifies the response of the Yamahas and thus how the REL setup should be amended.

Fiddle and see, I suppose, unless anyone knows better.

Fraser
I've got a Paradigm Sub 1 integrated with my speakers at 80Hz and all sounds bloody good to me (not just the sound, but the feel of not only the music, but also for movies)
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(06-Mar-2017, 17:03)fraserhadden Wrote: Does anyone know how SAM affects the settings of a subwoofer?

I used to use a REL Strata with my Yamaha NS 1000M's, and set it up to mirror the published curves of the Yamaha. However, I don't know how SAM modifies the response of the Yamahas and thus how the REL setup should be amended.

Fraser

It's SAM or subwoofer out.  They can't be used together.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(06-Mar-2017, 18:05)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Mar-2017, 17:03)fraserhadden Wrote: Does anyone know how SAM affects the settings of a subwoofer?

Fraser

It's SAM or subwoofer.  They can't be used together.

I know REL prefers you to use the speaker output but you can use the RCA output of the Devialet and cut off the high frequencies. So SAM and Sub are possible.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(07-Mar-2017, 05:56)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Fraser

It's SAM or subwoofer.  They can't be used together.

I know REL prefers you to use the speaker output but you can use the RCA output of the Devialet and cut off the high frequencies. So SAM and Sub are possible.

I meant crossover and sub out out of the Devialet. Not sure I would want the end result of SAM processing going into my high $ sub.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Fraser

It's SAM or subwoofer out.  They can't be used together.
Thank you. Of course, an equalised output can't be led into a subwoofer. I should have been able to work this out!

Fraser