Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for RCA-to-XLR cable
Hello all,

I am preparing to experiment with using three D220 to drive my 3-way speakers in "active crossover" mode.

In order to do that, I will need an RCA-to-XLR cable to link the first master D220 with the first slave D220 (and then an RCA-to-RCA cable to link the first D220 slave to the second D220 slave.

I would like some suggestions about a suitable RCA-to-XLR cable. I only need a very short run: half a meter would be fine but perhaps it will be difficult to find runs of less than 1 meter. 

Alternatively I might be able to solder such a cable if I can find the correct pin-out.

Many thanks!

Pierre

p.s. I am pretty sure that the question of RCA-to-XLR cables has been raised on this forum before. However, owing to the rather poor search technique used on the present site I was unable to find relevant posts. The problem is that all words shorter than 4 letters (thus both RCA and XLR) are discarded by the search engine. This is definitely wrong. Good search engines normally use a finite list of useless short words such as "the" and "a" (this is called a list of "stop words") rather than banning all short words.
(29-Jun-2019, 20:07)pisabell Wrote: Hello all,

I am preparing to experiment with using three D220 to drive my 3-way speakers in "active crossover" mode.

In order to do that, I will need an RCA-to-XLR cable to link the first master D220 with the first slave D220 (and then an RCA-to-RCA cable to link the first D220 slave to the second D220 slave.

I would like some suggestions about a suitable RCA-to-XLR cable. I only need a very short run: half a meter would be fine but perhaps it will be difficult to find runs of less than 1 meter. 

Alternatively I might be able to solder such a cable if I can find the correct pin-out.

Many thanks!

Pierre

p.s. I am pretty sure that the question of RCA-to-XLR cables has been raised on this forum before. However, owing to the rather poor search technique used on the present site I was unable to find relevant posts. The problem is that all words shorter than 4 letters (thus both RCA and XLR) are discarded by the search engine. This is definitely wrong. Good search engines normally use a finite list of useless short words such as "the" and "a" (this is called a list of "stop words") rather than banning all short words.

I have used the DH Labs RCA to XLR (D-110) cables (1 meter and a 3 meter) successfully between D's.  Reasonable priced and quite quick delivery.  Tried a longer length of 5 meters but at this length the signal was to weak and intermittent to be usable.  

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
I second Jim’s nomination. I also use the DH Labs D110, but whichever you choose to use, make sure it is 110 Ohm.
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-D400-VS-...8#pid85008

See post #5.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Jim and Axel:

Thanks for the recommendations.

Here is another question. I just noticed that in the online configurator, whenever the master unit is connected to the (first) slave unit through the RCA-to-XLR path, it no longer looks possible to share the sources from both units. Is there a way to do that? I would not want to drive my speakers with three D220 but only have access to the sources from the master unit.

Thanks a lot,

Pierre
Unfortunately this is the downside of using the RCA to XLR master/slave connection. When using this method the slave sources are no longer available.
(30-Jun-2019, 17:26)Laura Wrote: Unfortunately this is the downside of using the RCA to XLR master/slave connection. When using this method the slave sources are no longer available.

+1 ...    I've daisy chained 3 x 220 Companions using RCA-XLR and have no sources on them. 

On the plus side, the improvement from RCA-RCA to RCA-XLR is very generously significant ... 

I had the RCA-XLR from DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 of 1.5 metres and indeed was a very nice cable. But when I moved to the AudioQuest Diamond 1.5 m and thereafter to the Wild 1.5 m, it was altogether another story ... And so was the $$$
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thanks for the useful answers!