Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surge Protector preventing Phantom from working properly?
This happened just now. 

I have a Dialog connected to power via a (not pricey, but not cheap) surge protector and it has been working 100% fine. In the past, I always connect my phantom directly to the wall outlet. Today, I tried connecting it through a cheap surge protector, and the Phantom refused to play anything from Tidal or Spotify Connect. Bluetooth still worked fine, though.

This leads me to believe that powerline connection is somehow critical to the Phantom working properly, and my cheap surge. Should I invest in a nice surge protector just for the phantom to ensure that it works?
Surge protectors have an impact on the functioning of the PLC. There is no need to protect the power line of the Phantoms and Dialog. They have their own protection circuits. The primary connection of Dialog works over PLC unless you connect all your Phantoms and Dialog through ethernet on the same network/switch. The built-in wifi is not that reliable and drop-outs are almost certain. You need to be aware that the Phantoms need to be in sync with a max delay of 20us for stable stereo reproduction. So there is from time to time a re-synchronisation done. This seems not to work well over wifi. So as a result the audio stream gets interrupted. Over ethernet and PLC Devialet after some updates managed reliable hires streaming of uncompressed 24/192k audio formats. This is a great achievement. Bluetooth streaming uses compressed file formats that need much less bandwidth. And if you use a single Phantom the stream does not even have to be broadcast from the receiving Phantom to Dialog and then in sync be re-distributed to all Phantoms. This however is the case when you have multiple Phantoms and feed in an optical signal or BT.
Ah I see. Thanks for the super detailed answer!