Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Room and REW equaliser choice
Information 
Sweet Room is the basic parametric EQ feature provided by Devialet for the Expert Pro range with release firmware 13.2.0.

REW (Room EQ wizard) is the most often cited EQ software to use, probably because it is free.  Big Grin

I do not own a Devialet Expert Pro myself but I have dabbled with EQ over the years and was intrigued to read how Devialet had implemented this feature.

I noted that a fair few people started to enthuse about using the feature with a lot starting from scratch.
An exciting time, perhaps, but also one fraught with issues especially if you have little knowledge.

This is not a guide as there are plenty of them available across various HiFi forums including the Official REW forum hosted by AV Nirvana.

Rather, it is an explanation as to why I would choose Rephrase as the REW equaliser.

REW offers multiple equalisers, often for specific equipment or specific software as well as its own Generic option.  This is because they use different methods or formulae to calculate each filter shape.
You can find more detail about the individual equalisers in the REW equaliser section of the User guide.

So, in the absence of a Devialet Expert Pro equaliser, which one is compatible with Sweet Room?

Devialet provided a PDF document as part of its introduction to Sweet Room and this included a number of EQ examples, beginning with a basic example upto an Advanced example.  See attachment below.

This document helpfully provided screenshots, of the example filter shapes, taken from unspecified Audio Precision software.  These screenshots were compared with those generated by REW for each of the group of REW equalisers until only one was found completely compatible.

Lets take the Basic example:-

100Hz, -6dB, Q of 10

Look specifically at where the 80Hz frequency and filter intersect.
Generic intersects at approx. -0.3dB
Rephase and Sweet Room intersects at approx. -0.6dB

[attachment=4321]
[attachment=4320]
Sweet Room EQ 100Hz, -6dB, Q of 10
[attachment=4322]

This indicates that the potentially compatible REW equalisers are those that calculate the parametric filter bandwidth in Hz between the half gain points as follows:

Bandwidth = sqrt(gain)*centre frequency/Q

That reduces the list of equalisers to the following:
- DCX2496
- UMC200
- 3sixty.3
- USM810
- Rephase

However, each of these equalisers have different resolutions for frequency, gain and Q values.  Again, please refer to the relevant information as linked above.
Some of these limitations may be due to hardware or may be due to perceived auditory tuning etc. etc.
The greatest resolution is provided by Rephase and it is the only equaliser that can emulate all of the Sweet Room examples.

I hope this has been of help and is not full of errors.

EDIT: 22nd October
Mathieu Pernot has kindly confirmed my assumption regarding the REW Equaliser choice.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...Sweet-Room

Quote:Hi Alan,
Your assumption is correct : the resulting bandwidth can be computed according to formulae n1 : bandwidth = sqrt(gain)*F/Q.
Great detective work, and important to know.

A quick tip to quickly reduce the number of filters active in the Rephase equaliser to 9 is to click on DCX2496, then click back on Rephase, you should then see the filters above 9 are marked as manual and REW will not auto calculate them.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(12-Oct-2020, 17:54)Soniclife Wrote: Great detective work, and important to know.

A quick tip to quickly reduce the number of filters active in the Rephase equaliser to 9 is to click on DCX2496, then click back on Rephase, you should then see the filters above 9 are marked as manual and REW will not auto calculate them.

Nice tip. Double thumbs up.
(12-Oct-2020, 17:02)alandbush Wrote: Sweet Room is the basic parametric EQ feature provided by Devialet for the Expert Pro range with release firmware 13.2.0.

REW (Room EQ wizard) is the most often cited EQ software to use, probably because it is free.  Big Grin

I do not own a Devialet Expert Pro myself but I have dabbled with EQ over the years and was intrigued to read how Devialet had implemented this feature.

I noted that a fair few people started to enthuse about using the feature with a lot starting from scratch.
An exciting time, perhaps, but also one fraught with issues especially if you have little knowledge.

This is not a guide as there are plenty of them available across various HiFi forums including the Official REW forum hosted by AV Nirvana.

Rather, it is an explanation as to why I would choose Rephrase as the REW equaliser.

REW offers multiple equalisers, often for specific equipment or specific software as well as its own Generic option.  This is because they use different methods or formulae to calculate each filter shape.
You can find more detail about the individual equalisers in the REW equaliser section of the User guide.

So, in the absence of a Devialet Expert Pro equaliser, which one is compatible with Sweet Room?

Devialet provided a PDF document as part of its introduction to Sweet Room and this included a number of EQ examples, beginning with a basic example upto an Advanced example.  See attachment below.

This document helpfully provided screenshots, of the example filter shapes, taken from unspecified Audio Precision software.  These screenshots were compared with those generated by REW for each of the group of REW equalisers until only one was found completely compatible.

Lets take the Basic example:-

100Hz, -6dB, Q of 10

Look specifically at where the 80Hz frequency and filter intersect.
Generic intersects at approx. -0.3dB
Rephase and Sweet Room intersects at approx. -0.6dB

Sweet Room EQ 100Hz, -6dB, Q of 10

This indicates that the potentially compatible REW equalisers are those that calculate the parametric filter bandwidth in Hz between the half gain points as follows:

Bandwidth = sqrt(gain)*centre frequency/Q

That reduces the list of equalisers to the following:
- DCX2496
- UMC200
- 3sixty.3
- USM810
- Rephase

However, each of these equalisers have different resolutions for frequency, gain and Q values.  Again, please refer to the relevant information as linked above.
Some of these limitations may be due to hardware or may be due to perceived auditory tuning etc. etc.
The greatest resolution is provided by Rephase and it is the only equaliser that can emulate all of the Sweet Room examples.

I hope this has been of help and is not full of errors.

Read the PDF but still don’t have any idea how to use it. Hopefully there will be a more detailed step by step instructions.
MiniDSP, the UMIK-1 manufacturer's, have recently updated their application notes for

1) Setting up UMIKs with REW

2) Taking measurements and creating filters

Notably, there are specific instructions for the MiniDSP EQ units.  Nevertheless, most of the guidelines are generic.
There is also new UMIK-2 Smile
https://www.minidsp.com/products/acousti...ent/umik-2
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(21-Oct-2020, 19:37)Delija Wrote: There is also new UMIK-2 Smile
https://www.minidsp.com/products/acousti...ent/umik-2

Yes, and for completeness a UMIK-X for multichannel!

However, over on AudiophileStyle, a reputed acoustics expert (Mitchco) considered the UMIK-1 more than capable for taking measurements.
Of course. UMIK-1 is more than enough.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Mathieu Pernot has kindly confirmed my assumption regarding the REW Equaliser choice.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...Sweet-Room

Quote:Hi Alan,
Your assumption is correct : the resulting bandwidth can be computed according to formulae n1 : bandwidth = sqrt(gain)*F/Q.

For more context, please refer back to the opening post.
What consequence does this have?