Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone with D120 could help me?
(27-Aug-2018, 12:56)chrisc Wrote: Is there any difference using a USB connection?

The work done by the computer in sending music files (whether FLAC or DSD) is so minimal that I cannot see how it can affect the sound

I might have mentioned before on another post, that I had an extended listening session with a few friends and we considered the USB and LAN connections to be on a par.   However, only USB can resolve DSD recordings

I have a 140 Pro, not a 120, and I don't know if it's input capabilities are different to the 120. I stream from an Antipodes server using Roon AIR.

I can say that I prefer an ethernet connection to USB and I'm streaming DSD64 files ripped from my SACDs to my 140 Pro over ethernet. Roon tells me that it's outputting DSD64 and the input resolution display on the 140 Pro tells me it's  receiving DSD64. I haven't tried DSD64 over USB because I gave up on USB and swapped to ethernet before I started ripping SACDs.

Unless there's something very different about the ethernet input on the 130/140 compared to the 120 you should be able to stream at least DSD64 through the ethernet connection.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
USB, Toslink and AES/EBU can all accept DSD64. This applies to the Expert and Pro, from firmware 8.1.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The Expert Pro also accepts DSD64 over ethernet, at least with the CI board installed. I didn't try it before my 130 got the CI board upgrade but it definitely accepts it with the CI board upgrade.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(27-Aug-2018, 22:37)David A Wrote: The Expert Pro also accepts DSD64 over ethernet, at least with the CI board installed. I didn't try it before my 130 got the CI board upgrade but it definitely accepts it with the CI board upgrade.

I must admit that I have never tried DSD via AIR Ethernet, so it is very interesting to read that it works.  I have got DSD to work via USB, and I have listened to a demo of DSD64 using the dCS Upsampler via AES/EBU, the latter sounded very good indeed.

I found this on Devialet’s website:
  • Can I play DSD with Devialet Air?
DSD which stands for Direct Stream Digital is a specific format of digital tracks - More details here
To play DSD files, we recommand you to use the USB capability of your Expert product. In view of the size of content on a DSD format, Devialet Air won't be able to run a smooth transportation of all informations which is in a DSD. 

So that’s what the website says, but it looks from your experience that it does work.  Maybe network dependant?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I don't know it it is network dependent but I haven't noticed any problems. Both the Antipodes and the 140 are connected via a Netgear ethernet switch which then connects to my network via ethernet. The Antipodes and 130 are both in the same rack and connected to the switch via Audioquest Vodka ethernet cables. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference once Devialet issue their Roon Ready update. I wasn't aware of that advice from Devialet and I just started streaming DSD over Roon Air once I had ripped the SACD layer of some of my discs. It worked, it sounded good, and better than the previously ripped CD layer from the same discs, so I just kept using Roon Air.

That advice from Devialet may have been issued before Roon implemented the Air protocol in their software so there may be a difference between how successful DSD is over Roon Air than it is over Devialet Air. Since I'm running Roon server software on the Antipodes rather than on my Mac, I don't use Devialet's Air app so I can't tell if that would make a difference but it may because there seem to have been quite a few reports that Roon Air works better than Devialet's own Air app.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I think that Roon’s implementation of AIR allows DSD streaming, not so Devialet’s own. Another way to get this would be to use HQPlayer in your computer and the Dev, particularly if you use a microRendu or something like that in the middle.

Hope this helps, cheers,

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pardon my late entry, but I'm wondering if this is related to my regular issue, where I get AIR cut-outs between tracks which require me to switch Windows to another sound output device and then back to AIR again to recover.
It seems the most likely to happen when my music switches between a low-res and a hi-res file, but the idea of clipping is interesting too, as it could be similar to switching from 16-bits to 24-bits of music, where the extra 8 bits are unexpected by some part of the playback pipeline and seen as effectively like clipping overload.
Just an idea, that's all.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.