Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
TV -> toslink -> Phantom: contrôle sound
Hello,

My Gold Phantom speaker is optically connected to my TV (recommended by Devialet). However, with this configuration I encounter the following problem: the volume is controlled only on the phantom. When the output is optical, volume control is no longer available via the TV.
The base of my system works with an apple tv and I wish to have only one remote control, that of the latter.
Not having the Devialet remote control, I have to go through my smartphone / tablet to control the sound.

How do you connect your speakers to your TV? What solutions do you have for my problem?

Do I have to do AirPlay in this case? If so, how do you manage the audio/video sync which is catastrophic by default.

++ §hu
For the remote control, unless you buy Devialet's one or try to hack around a small raspberrypi with an IR receptor that'll then use the "hidden" Phantom API, there's nothing to do.

I was using the AppleTv Airplay before having a new TV with an optical output-- never had specific sync issues. But there's an option in the Apple TV settings to do sync (you have to film it using your phone): try this!
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
(21-Jan-2020, 10:24)theshur Wrote: Hello,

My Gold Phantom speaker is optically connected to my TV (recommended by Devialet). However, with this configuration I encounter the following problem: the volume is controlled only on the phantom. When the output is optical, volume control is no longer available via the TV.
The base of my system works with an apple tv and I wish to have only one remote control, that of the latter.
Not having the Devialet remote control, I have to go through my smartphone / tablet to control the sound.

How do you connect your speakers to your TV? What solutions do you have for my problem?

Do I have to do AirPlay in this case? If so, how do you manage the audio/video sync which is catastrophic by default.

++ §hu
If you would use Apple TV and Airplay you could control the volume via Apple Remote Control. The sync issues are much better controlled by Apple TV as it processes video and sound and takes that into account when using Airplay. In addition to that there is the already mentioned mechanism for sync control using the Apple TV settings and an iPhone. 

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)

++ §hu

Also try to have a better check at your tv software. You might be able to play a little through that. I have a Sony Bravia that allows audio from TV or external audio sources (it is part of the sound features). Once the phantom is connected through optical, this output is always active anyway. If  I set as active the tv speakers, I can use both the phantom or the TV audio by silencing one or the other. In any case you need to use two remotes (phone and/or tv remote). 

I normally use the phantom as main speaker for my tv and lateral + or - buttons of the iPhone for volume control, even if they have +5dB or -5dB steps. Instead I use the Apple Watch remote app that through haptic gives you a more accurate  +1dB or -1dB steps. 

The main problem for me when a phantom is connected to a Tv is a still missing EQ software. That would help me to better balance the treble-middle tones Vs the low frequencies. Hopefully this will be a future implemented feature.

++ §hu
I use nvidia shield TV.
Connect tv HDMI to Nvidia shield tv.
Connect USB audio out from Nvidia shield tv.
You need to buy a USB to optical convertor to connect USB audio to optical in on phantom.
You can then use the Nvidia shield to control tv volume on the phantom.
No audio sync issues
Nvidia shield TV will be you media streaming device.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your feedback.
I resume in order:

The synchronization option on the appleTV allows you to synchronize airplay video between the appleTV and a smartphone. Sync shifts are not the same between an iPhone and a phantom speaker. And we are talking about a different sync, once it is the ATV receives the signal (iPhone to ATV) and in my case it is the ATV which sends to the speakers. This parameter therefore does not concern my scenario.

Activating the optical audio output + internal speaker of the TV is not advised by Devialet and rightly so (there is necessarily a difference between the two) and my goal is to use 100% phantoms. And above all it does not solve my remote control problem.

I want to keep my ATV, I use airplay a lot from my tablet / smartphone and we work 100% iOS at home.

In summary, my only means seems to be Airplay, if I want to be able to control the sound with the ATV remote control.

I'm going to get into some tests.

++ §hu

(traduction by google)
(22-Jan-2020, 09:29)theshur Wrote: Thanks for your feedback.
I resume in order:

The synchronization option on the appleTV allows you to synchronize airplay video between the appleTV and a smartphone. Sync shifts are not the same between an iPhone and a phantom speaker. And we are talking about a different sync, once it is the ATV receives the signal (iPhone to ATV) and in my case it is the ATV which sends to the speakers. This parameter therefore does not concern my scenario.

Activating the optical audio output + internal speaker of the TV is not advised by Devialet and rightly so (there is necessarily a difference between the two) and my goal is to use 100% phantoms. And above all it does not solve my remote control problem.

I want to keep my ATV, I use airplay a lot from my tablet / smartphone and we work 100% iOS at home.

In summary, my only means seems to be Airplay, if I want to be able to control the sound with the ATV remote control.

I'm going to get into some tests.

++ §hu

(traduction by google)
The sync option in Apple TV settings is using the mic of the iPhone to control when the sound actually arrives (you have to hold it close to the screen). This data then is used to adjust the audio/video signal for lip-sync. The other variable here is that the Apple TV Remote can control the volume of a TV (it can learn the infrared code), but it also controls AirPlay volume. It depends on your TV what it can/should and cannot do (e.g. switching to an external speaker thereby not using the internal speakers). So there are indeed some options, depending on the setup.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
I use a raspberry pi which listens to hdmi-cec and then controls the volume of the phantoms, sound is optical. Described here with the code I wrote for it: https://github.com/twalther/phantom-hdmi-cec
(22-Jan-2020, 13:55)walther Wrote: I use a raspberry pi which listens to hdmi-cec and then controls the volume of the phantoms, sound is optical. Described here with the code I wrote for it: https://github.com/twalther/phantom-hdmi-cec

Oh! This is a very clever idea. I didn't knew the hdmi-cec state was broadcasted to every port (thought it was just the active one) -- awesome! I'll try this soon Smile
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
I should also add that my phantoms are still on DOS 1. I have not really looked at what DOS 2 would do to my setup so I can not say anything about it. But if someone on DOS 2 tries a similar solution to mine I’d love to hear about how it works and if something need to change (probably).