Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tannoy Legacy Arden
(07-Feb-2018, 09:21)ogs Wrote: @pjlarge did you receive the Arden's? How do you like them in your system? I've been looking at the new Cheviot, but have not had a chance to listen to a pair yet.

Also looking forward to impressions.  Smile
Hello - yes I have them, and they're massive.  Way bigger than the (already very big) Celestion Ditton 66's I was running before:

That said, I'm currently awaiting a replacement pair, so it is unfair to comment on sound quality at this point.  Tannoy are supposed to be delivering the replacements tomorrow - I'll post back then!
440 Pro CI, Roon ROCK, Technics 1200G, Celestion Ditton 66
(08-Feb-2018, 14:14)pjlarge Wrote: Hello - yes I have them, and they're massive.  Way bigger than the (already very big) Celestion Ditton 66's I was running before:

That said, I'm currently awaiting a replacement pair, so it is unfair to comment on sound quality at this point.  Tannoy are supposed to be delivering the replacements tomorrow - I'll post back then!

Really handsome speakers IMO.

What was wrong with the original pair?
(11-Feb-2018, 12:13)r4bbit Wrote:
(08-Feb-2018, 14:14)pjlarge Wrote: Hello - yes I have them, and they're massive.  Way bigger than the (already very big) Celestion Ditton 66's I was running before:

Really handsome speakers IMO.

What was wrong with the original pair?

Yes, nice looking. Can we have a shot without the grilles on, please?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Sure - just back from travels so will add some photos minus the grilles later on.

The first pair had a manufacturing defect with one of the drivers - both a poorly assembled and manufactured waveguide as well as an issue with the suspension. I think they got the trainee to build that driver but it should never have got past QA and out of the factory door. The logistics of moving / replacing such huge cabinets are rather more complex than your average sized speakers. To be fair they swapped the pair out, but it should not have happened in the first place.

The replacements are faultless. Still voiced very differently to what I've been used to but I've only had half an hour listening to them so far. They were left on a loop whilst I've been away so should have 100 or so hours on them now.
@pjlarge I notice you're selling or splitting your D1000. Are you keeping the Ardens? With the sensitivity of Ardens I am sure a 250 will be all you need!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Yes the Ardens are staying - I've been running them with just one of the amps for the last week or so to see what I thought. Truth is, for the volume I'm listening at, there's not a lot in it.
I've been kicking round a few ideas recently, I want to take the opportunity of the new house to further simplify (and remove boxes from) the system.
We'll see if the 1000 Pro / 250 Companion sells!
As promised, here are some photos of the Arden without the grilles.
They're a massive speaker, the 15" driver is enormous!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-Feb-2018, 21:27)pjlarge Wrote: Yes the Ardens are staying - I've been running them with just one of the amps for the last week or so to see what I thought.  Truth is, for the volume I'm listening at, there's not a lot in it.  
I've been kicking round a few ideas recently, I want to take the opportunity of the new house to further simplify (and remove boxes from) the system.
We'll see if the 1000 Pro / 250 Companion sells!

Actually I was running my 250 at reduced power (150W - set in configurator) for a long time. First of all not to overload my speakers, but also to improve sound. You may want to try this. After I had my speakers SAM'ed I have used full output from the amp, but I plan to revisit the power setting after I get the amp back from CI installation.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Interesting thanks - the sound definitely improves further up the volume scale. I'll have to try limiting the power and see what happens.

There are no SAM profiles for the Legacy series yet. Come to think of it I've not seen any news on SAM profiles for ages. I wonder if they've lost interest!