Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical difference between Expert 250 Pro and Expert 220 Pro
My understanding is that the "innards" of the old D250 and D200 were indeed absolutely identical. The key difference, as others have stated, is the case. Because the case for the 200 (or 220Pro) affords less cooling, the firmware for the power supply is revised to prevent overheating.

The situation between the current 220Pro and 250Pro is very similar, they have different cooling characteristics, so necessarily the firmware for the power supply is a little more restrictive for the 220Pro. Furthermore, the internals are now slightly different in the area of the ADH boards. This was covered in an earlier thread:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-D220-Pro...the-inside?

In terms of the price difference between the units, some might be surprised by just how much of the cost of a 250 is dictated by the case itself. For many audio products, the case can cost more than the electronics.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-May-2021, 09:42)RvdH Wrote:
(13-May-2021, 00:38)PeppaPig Wrote: I just did a 220 Pro CI and 250 Pro CI side by side comparison last week using a GT1 speaker with SAM enabled to 100%.

The 250 Pro sounds noticeably better, especially in the bass part it is noticeably fuller, more energy, and this contributed a lot to the overall sounding experience. I was surprised the difference is so distinct.

Guess the capacity of the capacitor inside 250 may be bigger than 220 so it can keep more power ready for the bass when needed? I am just guessing.

I am very interested to see how a 440 Pro compared to 250 Pro, anyone has experience here?

There are not many second hand 250 Pro for sale otherwise I will upgrade the 220 Pro, the difference is just quite noticeable. And once you use the 250 remote, you won’t like the 220 remote at all.
The difference between the remotes is only that the logo turns on the 250 remote and the casing ihas a slight bend, like the casing of the 250. 

The difference between the 440 and the 250 depends on what speakers you use. My speakers have active subwoofers built in so for me the extra power of the 440 did not do much. That is why I went from a 220 to a 250. And because I like the case better. I spent my money on better speaker cables. That improved the sound more than going from a 220 to a 440 did.

250 remote is much nicer and smoother to turn..
Can I get to 250 nirvana by sticking a very large heat sink on my 220 and setting the psu to full whack?
(01-Jul-2021, 08:02)Decameron Wrote: Can I get to 250 nirvana by sticking a very large heat sink on my 220 and setting the psu to full whack?

No.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-Jul-2021, 08:02)Decameron Wrote: Can I get to 250 nirvana by sticking a very large heat sink on my 220 and setting the psu to full whack?

A slightly blunt response from f1eng above, but to be fair I think he is correct.

I suspect that the main problem will relate to exactly what is needed to set the PSU to "full whack".  I do not know all the details, but I believe the PSU is firmware controlled to suit the specific performance and cooling characteristics of each model.

So the question is how would you change the firmware for the PSU?  Maybe someone knows how to do it, but as far as I know it is impossible.

Also, per the thread linked in post #11 of this thread, the DAMP board is different between the 220Pro and 250Pro models, probably due to cooling requirements and maybe the copper base.  (I am speculating a bit here)

But speculation apart, the DAMP boards are different, and without knowing precisely what the implications of this are from a design and performance perspective, it is not possible to establish for sure exactly what adding a big heat sink might do.

In summary, I think only Devialet will know how to revise the PSU firmware from 220 to 250 spec, and only Devialet will know exactly what the influence of the different DAMP boards is to performance.  I somehow doubt Devialet are likely to advise anyone how to change the PSU firmware.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
One big difference between the Expert 220 Pro and Expert 250 Pro is in the maximum output current. The 250 Pro has a higher maximum current, which is important for speakers that present a more difficult load.
Neko Audio

The only way to do this is to have the 220 say it is a 250 (during firmware install and boot) I do not believe Devialet will tell you how to do that Shy .  In addition the ADH board is different between the two (per @Confused ) so you'd probably not get the 250 SQ anyway.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
At a minimum, the software is different between the 220 and 250. The power supply with the 250 must have additional reserve power over the 220 given the deltas in power when configured in mono. To me, the chassis and remote definitely looks better.

My current reference speakers are Tyler Linbrook Signature Floorstanders, with all SEAS Excel /Millennium drivers, upgraded crossover parts and internal wiring, gets down to 25hz, and has an efficiency of 90db/w @ 4 ohms. Had previously tried both a single and dual D-Premier setup with these speakers, and there was not any discernible audible difference between the two setups. Have sent a D-Premier back to factory for upgrade to a 250 Pro. Pretty confident that the extra reserve power from the 250 Pro will be a welcomed upgrade.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
I like to add

- it could be of interest to compare the config files, as there are some settings regarding power that are not in the configurator available for everyones touch
("ADH_CONFIG": "VOLTAGE_0DB":51, "PUISSANCE_0DB":220 , "PSU_CONFIG": "V_RUN_MAX":140)

There is the other setup function that power is always fully available or only on signal requests, so both system should have same settings when compared.

- as I'm using a power rebuilder (PS Audio P12) it might become a better sound in combination with a 220 then a 250 all alone might deliver as a result, just a thought to think off.

- while thinking about the "best" solution, there are other amplifier in the market, also. Does it really need to be the very best, will you hear this when at home, too? Wouldn't better speakers make the sound much better in comparison to the extra money?
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg
Don't overlook the front end processing.  The DAC/Magic Wire is a key factor with the overall sound from the Pro 220/250.  Sound can further improved with a front end processor such as a Chord M-Scaler. 
If one uses a different amp, what front end do you attach to it?  Using the 220 or 250 Pro as a preamp to a separate amp kind of defeats the intent of getting the best possible sound.

Regarding power, the improved power supply with the 220/250 Pro already does an excellent job at noise filtering. A device that reconstructs power may actually not improve performance,  as many of these devices have the unintended consequence of limiting power during peak transients demands.  I think the improved power supply from the Expert Pro 220/250 is more than up to the task. 

Based on Stereophile measurements,  this may not be as valid for the Expert Pro 140.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB