Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperatures
Hi all

Just got my D200 back up and running with some new speakers (PMC 20.26) at last.

After a decent listening session (2 hours +) the temperature in the 'A' amp is hitting 63/64C and the other two 59C. The amp is almost too hot to touch.

The unit is almost a year old, although for various reasons wasn't used a great deal in this time.

It sounds fine, no issues there, but this seems very hot to me. The speakers aren't that hard to drive. All s/w up to date (7.1.1 and SAM enabled)

Any thoughts on this?
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(08-Apr-2015, 10:01)Neffa Wrote: Hi all

Just got my D200 back up and running with some new speakers (PMC 20.26) at last.

After a decent listening session (2 hours +) the temperature in the 'A' amp is hitting 63/64C and the other two 59C. The amp is almost too hot to touch.

The unit is almost a year old, although for various reasons wasn't used a great deal in this time.

It sounds fine, no issues there, but this seems very hot to me. The speakers aren't that hard to drive. All s/w up to date (7.1.1 and SAM enabled)

Any thoughts on this?

That does seem a bit hot to me. The only time I get close to those temperatures is when in pass-thru mode. I believe anything up to 65C is ok but you are getting perilously close to the limit and only after 2 hours. It's not as though your speakers are that inefficient at 86dB.

How many hours has the D200 had?

I would raise a ticket.

Cheers

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Apr-2015, 10:01)Neffa Wrote: Hi all

Any thoughts on this?

What volume setting were you using? I seem to remember the PMCs seemed to need a lot of power when I heard them at OAC.
My 800s get that hot if I use pass through, so I don't...
Passthrough default seems to be -15dB, though I can't remember whether I used the default in the no-longer-used config I did about a year ago, it may have been more.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I honestly don't know how many hours, it's been with me for 14 months or so and used occasionally during that time. It was powered off for about 2 months until last weekend, as I left it in the dealers pending a car trip to collect the speakers.

Volume-wise, it was circa -8db on the digital inputs, a bit higher on phono.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(08-Apr-2015, 13:43)Neffa Wrote: I honestly don't know how many hours, it's been with me for 14 months or so and used occasionally during that time. It was powered off for about 2 months until last weekend, as I left it in the dealers pending a car trip to collect the speakers.

Volume-wise, it was circa -8db on the digital inputs, a bit higher on phono.

None of my speakers need the volume set that high but that seems about what the PMCs needed at OAC. I was surprised how inefficient they are.
I used to have a video setting on my D-Premier which required the volume set at -10dB on the Devialet to match the rear speaker volume. My temperatures were around what you report after running for a while at -10dB.
I would guess that your temperature is about normal for a volume setting -6dB and higher, personally.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have a 200 and my Raidho C-1.1s are 88dB.  Since the latter firmware updates the temperature on my is pretty rock solid, never peaking above 42C. I do have to crank the volume up though, -10dB is typical with rock or even up to +5 to +10 with with some classical recordings, and this isn't at ear-shattering levels. I think some of this is down to my USB source though. I don't need such high amplification with my phone source for instance.

Your 200 does have a bit of air around it and not on top of anything hot? Those temperatures do sound excessive and mine never got that hot even before the temperature-regulating firmwares. From memory I think 63-64C is the max temperature Devialet customer service thought was 'normal'. I'll check my emails as I'm sure I asked them fairly recently.

[edit] found it - Devialet said 'the heat can go up to 67C without any damage'.
Lots of hostoric reading on this subject:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...erature%5D
Thanks
Dublin, Ireland