Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrible noise!
Sitting downstairs today when we heard the most terrible noise from upstairs, it sounded like someone dragging chains across my roof. Went up to investigate to find my Gold Phantoms making the most awful deafening noise, I quickly turned off all the power but I am nervous about turning them back on again. Even if they come back on OK , I dare not leave them powered in case they do it gain in the middle of the night.
Anyone else experience anything like this?
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
Jesus that’s not good. Did you send a report from Spark to them, maybe there is a log of what happened?

Let us known- I don’t want that happening in the middle of the night either!
Do you have bluetooth activated on them? Anyone can connect if they are close enough. Personally I've turned BT off.

But yeah, doesn't sound nice. But I've had other instances where BT has caused issues with volume settings as some devices need high volume on the device while other do not. Switching without knowing that can give you quite a scare >_<

Hope it gets sorted.
(07-Apr-2018, 18:39)Deezel Wrote: Do you have bluetooth activated on them? Anyone can connect if they are close enough. Personally I've turned BT off.

But yeah, doesn't sound nice. But I've had other instances where BT has caused issues with volume settings as some devices need high volume on the device while other do not. Switching without knowing that can give you quite a scare >_<

Hope it gets sorted.

I don’t think BT is activated. (Daren't switch them on at the moment) I will check tomorrow. I have sent a message to Devialet, just hope they are not damaged, it was a pretty horrendous noise, sounded like someone was dragging heavy machinery across my roof.
What was your input source? AirPlay? Internet streaming? Local streaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
The last time I used it I was streaming from my Synology NAS using the Yamaha WXC 50
Okay. Turn them on. Have a listen. If they continue to do it contact Devialet and they’ll replace them. If they don’t do it then it wasn’t anything that’s going to damage them.

Since both did it. It’s likely an error in processing if the audio. Maybe the file wasn’t delivered properly due to network issues or a corrupted file. Not a hardware issue.

If they or more likely one continues to do it then it could be a PSU issue and your power setup may be causing amplification failure.

Just for precaution you could disable Bluetooth and AirPlay access to potentially prevent any unauthorised connections. If someone has connected to them with AirPlay or Bluetooth and they’re far away it can cause the signal to crackle and skip which could be what happened. But no way to tell.

Devialet Phantom (White)
(08-Apr-2018, 00:59)kmjy Wrote: Okay. Turn them on. Have a listen. If they continue to do it contact Devialet and they’ll replace them. If they don’t do it then it wasn’t anything that’s going to damage them.

Since both did it. It’s likely an error in processing if the audio. Maybe the file wasn’t delivered properly due to network issues or a corrupted file. Not a hardware issue.

If they or more likely one continues to do it then it could be a PSU issue and your power setup may be causing amplification failure.

Just for precaution you could disable Bluetooth and AirPlay access to potentially prevent any unauthorised connections. If someone has connected to them with AirPlay or Bluetooth and they’re far away it can cause the signal to crackle and skip which could be what happened. But no way to tell.

Ok, turned them back on today, the good news is that they both work fine. I have deactivated Bluetooth and Airplay so fingers crossed it’s a one off. It’s just a constant worry now as I don’t know if I can risk leaving them powered on. I dread to think what would happen if the problem reoccurred in the middle of the night, the effect on the household (and the neighbours) would be traumatic. For the time being I may power down at night and leave them on during the day when I am in.
Many thanks for all the advice.