Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesla Battery
I wonder if Tesla battery will improve our hifi sound. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

That's a bloody good question!
short answer - no.

the battery system is DC so you have something like solar panels feeding them to charge them up. from there you need a dc-ac inverter such as the solar system inverter. that inverter supplies a power cable that runs all the way back to your main switchboard and operates as a second "main switch" and then feeds all your circuits. your power will likely end up with just as much interference on it as the power that feeds your house.

plus who knows if the inverters inject their own noise onto the cable. they arent exactly designed for audio applications so i doubt having the worlds cleanest power is on their mind.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I'm not an electronics engineer but I've often wondered whether you really need to feed your amp with AC current because as far as I know the power supply changes it to DC as soon as it comes in. So (in MY theory Idea and possibly all wrong) if you had enough batteries in series to achieve 120-240V (10-20, which is a lot of batteries) then you could run a perfect DC power supply. And if you used car batteries the current you could supply would be awesome! At a price of say $100.- per battery plus some cables and a charger it wouldn't even be too pricy. The rack of batteries in the living room might be a bit of a hard sell to the missus though  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
LOL, car battery is definitely a no no for my missus
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

it absolutely does not work like that but ill give you points for originality pim Tongue
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Well this is not the way it would be done. 100W under 8 ohms is about +- 28V peak so you would go with a 60V battery.

No need to go back to AC and you would bypass a significant part of the PSU.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Check out red wine audio battery powered amps
I do not understand why the Tesla Powerwall battery system gets so much publicity. They use (like their cars) Lithium ion batteries which do not employ the recent advancements in battery chemistry but use an extensive thermal management (liquid cooled). With the newest battery technology this would be not necessary! I wonder that Elon Musk built a battery factory and as the car sales are not high enough tries to find other means to sell the surplus production (and he is good at that with all the publicity).
Lithium ion batteries were developed for their energy density (important for mobile use/cars) but not necessary the best choice for stationary batteries where the most important criteria are reliability and cycle live!
(04-May-2015, 18:18)davidadamson Wrote: Check out red wine audio battery powered amps

Discontinued!