Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The master companion digital link revisited
Hello guys, this seems to be a very expert thread on the master/companion connection !
I am about to get a second D200 to pair with mine and upgrade to D400, and I am looking for a good S/PDIF - S/PDIF cable for the purpose.
Sorry if it was addressed before, but have you ever discussed in the community :
- the optimum length for this cable ? to my (limited) knowledge a good practise for S/PDIF and AES3 is to have cable very short (<1foot) or long (>7feet) in order to minimise the effect of possible reflexions inside the cables, also considering it is almost impossible to be impedance matched at 75ohms with *%£#1 RCA connectors, so there will be reflexions,
- what are actually the data sent by the master to the companion, which protocol etc..
- the use of a reclocker like the ones of ifi-audio at the input of the companion. It is expensive at 169€ but to my experience can be very performant, also offering the often good idea of a galvanic isolation
Sorry if this was addressed before and thanks for the amazing reviews !
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 
(09-Sep-2017, 23:45)Alec_eiffel Wrote: - the use of a reclocker like the ones of ifi-audio at the input of the companion. It is expensive at 169€  but to my experience can be very performant, also offering the often good idea of a galvanic isolation
Sorry if this was addressed before and thanks for the amazing reviews !
Answering to myself : read somewhere that all digital inputs have galvanic isolation which is good Smile
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 
The AQ Diamond should be outstanding. Anyone got experience with the AQ Coffee?
I tested the Coffee some years ago next to the Diamond. The Diamond was quite a bit better in comparison. So don't compare these side by side if you're not prepared to buy the Diamond would be my advise.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Oh wow!! The Diamond indeed is absolutely outstanding. I went pricewise for the Coffee RCA
I am glad to report that the Chord company Sarum T RCA-RCA works beautifully with the Devialet 1000 Expert.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Having used the Audioquest Coffee coax cable - the improvement is far more than I would have imagined!
My 440 Pro made a big step up. The funny thing: when listening the very first day with the new cable, my wife (without knowing anything about the change) said what I did about the right speaker?!
Now everything is more in place, far better presence on the right side now.
RCA to RCA better or RCA to XLR better ?
I compared various combinations and ended up with RCA - RCA (in addition you can also use the trigger cable this way to decrease the temperature of the companion)
RCA to RCA allows you to configure inputs on the Companion as well as the Master because the RCAs are bi-directional. RCA to XLR does not allow that because the XLR can only be used as an input (i.e. not bidirectional). I also agree with @markush that going RCA - RCA and using a trigger cable does allow the Companion to go to sleep fully (like the Master) thus reducing the temp of the Companion when in sleep. No difference, of course, when in use.

FWIW, I have tried both to see if I could hear a difference. I could not, but I suppose depending upon cable chosen your results may be different.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA