Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of a new setup, need advice
Big Grin 
So, the new Sonos amp is launching soon and I’m tempted to try it out. I miss the ease of use of Sonos and I would also like a pair of nice looking natural or almost warm sounding speakers. I don’t dislike the look of the Phantoms, but for me design is important and it would just feel so much better having a set of nice looking Sonus Fabers or something similar, given they sound good Smile

So, what do you guys think, is it possible to get pair of speakers coupled with the Sonos amp to get close to a pair of phantom golds (or possible even better, besides bas response)? What would you get?
@Soundside

I understand about the ease of use of the Sonos and the other benefits it has, such as a very wide range of streaming service inclusion. It is also recognized by ROON, if you want to have that on a nearby computer. It is versatile enough that I have stuck with it as my streaming device for most listening.

I have a W4S modified Connect and a stock Amp, which runs the in-wall speakers in our kitchen. Having had a stock Connect previously, I can say that the modified Connect is substantially better than the stock Connect. My point here is that the new amp may be more powerful, but unless it is a sonically better product than the current Amp, I don't think it will be anywhere near a Phantom in sound quality.

I can't say this with any knowledge of this specific combination, but I would expect that it is not an adequate amp for speakers such as SF or any of it's peers. The new Amp may have more watts, but I doubt it has the current to really drive SF speakers, and I doubt that the rest of its internal parts are adequate either. It will work, but it would not likely give you the sound that you would expect from SF speakers.

I would suggest finding a D120 used and then a modded Connect to give you the Sonos advantages. Nowhere near your probable budget, I accept, esp with SF loudspeakers. If you don't like the Phantom appearance, then maybe Sonos into a Naim integrated into SF speakers? Or other, less demanding speakers?

Perhaps you can help us help you by telling us about your musical preferences, room size, and if CD/ FLAC files are good for you? (they are for me, BTW). Are you a current Devialet owner, or are you considering a move from another system? Where in the universe are you located?

If the Phantom Reactor worked in stereo, I'd personally go that way. They are the size of a large grapefruit, and could be hidden pretty easily.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you for your answer Damon!

I currently own two Phantom Premier Gold with dialog. I’m very happy with the sound and above all the lower frequenzies. But I’m not happy about the dialog and Spark and the fact that there’s no convenient way to integrate the Phantoms into home cinema/tv. I use them a lot for TV and gaming along with music and have connected them with optical to the TV controlling the volume with the NEEO remote.

Ideally, and that’s why the new Sonos amp is interesting it would have hdmi ARC for connecting to the TV and making it easy to control with other remotes such as NEEO/harmony without having to use a raspberry pi as a bridge between them.

I understand that the Sonos amp might not cut it, bit matbe it’s possible to use it as pre-amp with Naim or something like it as power-amps?

As for the speakers I would like to get a bit more emotion, that’s why I’m leaning a bit towards SF. Also, I thunk that they are works of art, nice wood finishes with leather and aluminium details, lika a nice piece of furniture.
But it’s a tough choice, thats why I would love some inspiration and suggestion Smile
If it's HDMI you want, why not hang out for a second hand D-Premier? Less boxes, great amplification and you'll have enough power to drive any speaker.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(15-Jan-2019, 09:43)Pim Wrote: If it's HDMI you want, why not hang out for a second hand D-Premier? Less boxes, great amplification and you'll have enough power to drive any speaker.

Hi. It's not only HDMI, I want ARC/CEC compatibility and with the sonos AMP I can connect wireless rear speakers for surround. Also the Sonos software is really good and a great platform to build on when adding more rooms. It just seems very versatile.
(15-Jan-2019, 10:12)Soundside Wrote:
(15-Jan-2019, 09:43)Pim Wrote: If it's HDMI you want, why not hang out for a second hand D-Premier? Less boxes, great amplification and you'll have enough power to drive any speaker.

Hi. It's not only HDMI, I want ARC/CEC compatibility and with the sonos AMP I can connect wireless rear speakers for surround. Also the Sonos software is really good and a great platform to build on when adding more rooms. It just seems very versatile.

I can't tell you how the new amp sounds but I did set up a full Sonos system for my brother a coupe of years ago. It really did just sound like shit, sorry. The software and how well it integrates is second to none but the sound can be bettered by just about anything half decent. You're used to gold Phantoms so you better be sure you're not going to put your new amp straight on Ebay a week after you buy it.

Sonos plays in a different league sound quality wise. And it's not the same league Devialet plays in.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(15-Jan-2019, 10:28)Pim Wrote:
(15-Jan-2019, 10:12)Soundside Wrote:

I can't tell you how the new amp sounds but I did set up a full Sonos system for my brother a coupe of years ago. It really did just sound like shit, sorry. The software and how well it integrates is second to none but the sound can be bettered by just about anything half decent. You're used to gold Phantoms so you better be sure you're not going to put your new amp straight on Ebay a week after you buy it.

Sonos plays in a different league sound quality wise. And it's not the same league Devialet plays in.

I understand what you are saying about Sonos being in another league than Devialet, if you compare with their own speakers. The new amp with nice speakers coupled with it though, could possible be completely different story. And if you have that great software with wireless surround sound possibilities on top, maybe it's possible to find a match/system that sounds "good enough" having all that sweet usability. 

Any suggestions on actual speakers to look into, preferably with that kind of SF look?
There are so many possible answers to OP's question. Here is just one, KEF LS50's + sub. Quite an interesting read per the link below:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/k...ings-r768/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12