Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This room will never sound this good again
    Hi all,

Last March our town was hit by Cyclone Debbie's aftermath. The whole town flooded and I lost my old B&W DM14 in the flood. Luckily the insurance company were nice enough to give me some new speakers so I opted for the KEF LS50 Wireless. I've been using them in our newly built Kitchen/living/dining room which a few days ago was fully insulated but not sheeted yet. This was the perfect time to give these babies a good listen. And they sounded absolutely wonderful. With all the insulation around there's no hint of reflection so the soundstage is as stable as can be.

Unfortunately the room is now sheeted up and it echo's like hell in there. I'm afraid it won't get much better as we're planning a timber floor. Attached is a photo of them sitting on the plaster board but I've also had them sitting on a window sill. On the sill the soundstage was bigger and deeper than I've ever heard from any system. That gives some insight into how important the room is. Interestingly the bass was a bit leaner than them on the plasterboard so even though the whole room is covered in 90mm thick insulation there's still enough reflection to enhance the bass.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
In the window with great soundstage.

Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Are you somewhere near Byron? It looks lush.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

(07-Nov-2017, 17:03)PDrchinn Wrote: Are you somewhere near Byron? It looks lush.

Close enough to have the same sub tropical climate.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Nimbin? Ballina? Yamba? Love that coast.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I have to admit that the LS50’s are quite interesting. Since I have not yet had an opportunity to audition them, I am curious if they are really as good as the hype ... ?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(08-Nov-2017, 23:38)baconbrain Wrote: I have to admit that the LS50’s are quite interesting. Since I have not yet had an opportunity to audition them, I am curious if they are really as good as the hype ... ?

I listened to the Kef's before purchasing my 220 Pro, main issue I had with them was reliability as some reviews and users reported streaming issues. They did sound rather good though when I heard them and would love them as a second system for a kitchen or dining area.
(09-Nov-2017, 11:25)kompressor Wrote:
(08-Nov-2017, 23:38)baconbrain Wrote: I have to admit that the LS50’s are quite interesting. Since I have not yet had an opportunity to audition them, I am curious if they are really as good as the hype ... ?

I listened to the Kef's before purchasing my 220 Pro, main issue I had with them was reliability as some reviews and users reported streaming issues. They did sound rather good though when I heard them and would love them as a second system for a kitchen or dining area.

I also picked up on some of those reliability concerns on the Roon Forum. Would still like to give them a listen as I am looking for a compact active speaker.

Thx for the feedback.

@Pim: Sorry to hear about your house. Can’t imagine what something like that happening would be like.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(10-Nov-2017, 23:44)baconbrain Wrote:
(09-Nov-2017, 11:25)kompressor Wrote:

I also picked up on some of those reliability concerns on the Roon Forum. Would still like to give them a listen as I am looking for a compact active speaker.

Thx for the feedback.

@Pim: Sorry to hear about your house. Can’t imagine what something like that happening would be like.
Thanks. The flood only entered the garage underneath the house so it wasn't too bad. Good thing is that I got the little Kefs. ?
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.