Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volume Display Mod?
Hi, was wondering if anyone has already attempted or successfully integrated a display to show the volume of the Phantoms at all times. While I know they will automatically reset to 35 (?) when switching inputs I now use mine exclusively via UPnP with a headless Mac mini running Audirvana. This has been going great so far, however in the past there have been a few occurrences where for mysterious reasons volume must've gotten cranked up in the background and I naively start playing music just to have my eardrums burst.

TL;DR has anyone come up with a way to incorporate a dedicated, small display to show the volume level/now playing information for the phantoms?
(13-Jan-2020, 18:04)cudifying Wrote: I now use mine exclusively via UPnP with a headless Mac mini running Audirvana.

Has anyone come up with a way to incorporate a dedicated, small display to show the volume level/now playing information for the phantoms?

What device/app do you use to start playing music from Audirvana?
Presumably one that does not display a volume control, or has the display simply been disabled?
Or perhaps one that does not display the true volume of the Phantoms?
(14-Jan-2020, 17:08)alandbush Wrote:
(13-Jan-2020, 18:04)cudifying Wrote: I now use mine exclusively via UPnP with a headless Mac mini running Audirvana.

Has anyone come up with a way to incorporate a dedicated, small display to show the volume level/now playing information for the phantoms?

What device/app do you use to start playing music from Audirvana?
Presumably one that does not display a volume control, or has the display simply been disabled?
Or perhaps one that does not display the true volume of the Phantoms?

Im using an iPad to start playing music from Audirvana. I have software volume control disabled inside audirvana as I don't want to deal with 2 different ways of volume (phantoms and audirvana). I have the Devialet app installed which allows me to control volume from the iPad. In addition to that I have the hardware remote which sadly, as we all know, is really limited in its functionality. I would like some sort of always on display to show me the volume level even if my iPad is turned off (Maybe an RPi Touchscreen mod that could display 'Now Playing' information in addition to the volume level).

I was just wondering if anyone has ever attempted something similar to this.
(13-Jan-2020, 18:04)cudifying Wrote: Hi, was wondering if anyone has already attempted or successfully integrated a display to show the volume of the Phantoms at all times. While I know they will automatically reset to 35 (?) when switching inputs I now use mine exclusively via UPnP with a headless Mac mini running Audirvana. This has been going great so far, however in the past there have been a few occurrences where for mysterious reasons volume must've gotten cranked up in the background and I naively start playing music just to have my eardrums burst.

TL;DR has anyone come up with a way to incorporate a dedicated, small display to show the volume level/now playing information for the phantoms?

I've the same issue with Roon...sometimes when I change the source for some reason the volume goes crazy and almost destroys my house :-)...still need to get to the bottom of that...why you don't use and old iPhone/Android with the Devialet app as a display....I've mine iPhone 5s in a stand always running and independently how I'm controlling my sound the "Dial" on the app is updated with the right vol sound...
I'm thinking of building a small remote-like with a display, on arduino or Rpi, but nothing concrete yet.

I'm also thinking of building a "bridge" that gets the IR signal from my TV remote to control the volume of the Phantoms. (I have an old CubieBoard that have an IR receptor, but for some reason it doesn't grab any signal. Otherwise using the Phantom web server described in another thread, doing this would be very easy to do)
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192