Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluesound Node and Devialet
(10-Dec-2014, 18:11)adhesiv Wrote:
(10-Dec-2014, 10:46)Flashman Wrote: I have a more robust device -- actually a music server -- on order from LH Labs (Geek Source) that should arrive sometime in 2015 once they get around to building the unit via a crowd sourcing campaign. That's a more high-level device with loads of storage (4TB). I am not sure at this point whether it will accommodate streaming services, though. At least I can try the Bluesound Node for its effectiveness and either keep it (for its streaming services capability) or sell it (if the Geek Source accommodates streaming services) once the Geek Source arrives.

I'm on the line for one of these as well...I'm a little nervous about how the UX will turn out though.

adhesiv, Yeah, I got caught up in the promise of a low cost to value music server and wonder what I will get in the end. Usually I read tons of stuff before I plunk down my money but I got caught in the hype of something that promised to be better than the Auralic ARIES. I guess we just have to wait and see...
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(10-Dec-2014, 12:55)Stian Wrote: I have a bluesound node conncted to my 200. I only use it for Tidal (Wimp here in Norway) and it works great. I also have a Sonos system, and while the Sonos have better and more stable software the Bluesound sounds a lot better. Cd rips via Air still sounds better to me though.

In juni and october 2013 I have been organising a shootout between a Bluesound Node, a standard Sonos Connect (ZP90) and a modified Sonos Connect (Magna Ultimo mod). The shootout was held at my home on my set (see my signature). By that time my D250 was still a D-Premier. There was also a German mod of the Sonos included (Dr. Gert Volk mod alias 'G-Sonos').

Our conclusions ware that the Bluesound Node sounded a bit better than the standard Sonos Connect. The modified Sonos was far superior to the Bluesound Node. The latter sounded at its best with an expensive optical cable, which would cost as much as the Sonos modification, which was the winner of the threesome. All of them ware beaten by the AIR streamer.

The forumthread is in Dutch only: on the HTforum.nl. My report on the shootout you will find on page 16, reply#398 and a follow up in another highend setting/location with cost-no-object tube amps and Usher LSs on page 18 reply #440. Detailed test of the Node on page 4 reply #80.

For information about the Sonos mod: you will find it on Google.

Here is a picture of the BLuesound Node on my Hifi altar:

[Image: Setup-zonder-fronts.jpg]
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
Since devialet is committed to DSD and UPnP. Why not wait a few months?
(11-Dec-2014, 14:20)warpeon Wrote: Since devialet is committed to DSD and UPnP. Why not wait a few months?

I need a pretty simple way for my wife to play music through the Devialet. She what's known as a luddite. The Bluesound Node sounds pretty simple with "decent enough" sound for Spotify and Tidal. All she has to do is press one button to turn on the Devialet and then she can work the Bluesound app on our iPad. Not sure at this point if Spotify and Tidal are integrated into the Bluesound app or whether you need to open them separately. I think with a little patience she will manage.

As for me, I like pristine sound -- well, as pristine as my 63-year-old ears can hear! Currently, I use Air with a computer but it's a pain because the computer is in another room. Plus, Air is still a bit flawed with occasional dropouts, white noise (not so much now as in the past), etc. So my long term plan is to leash a music server via AES/EBU to the Devialet. This future source will be the Geek Source, which will read all the hi-res audio file formats, has a 4TB hard drive, separate power source, special clocks, etc. Not sure whether it will accommodate streaming, though, so maybe the Node is a long-term second source as described above.

So there's my plan!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(11-Dec-2014, 14:20)warpeon Wrote: Since devialet is committed to DSD and UPnP. Why not wait a few months?

DSD maybe, but i am not sure that Devialet is committed to UPnP. May they will succumb to market pressure in the end, especially with the #PhantomRising thing!
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Actually when I visited the shanghai store, I was told the development team is working on a NAS solution. However, it is taking longer because they needed to re write the OS of devialet to enable this function. I would hold off till Munich show, at least. Save a couple of bucks and invest on something else
(11-Dec-2014, 16:03)warpeon Wrote: Actually when I visited the shanghai store, I was told the development team is working on a NAS solution. However, it is taking longer because they needed to re write the OS of devialet to enable this function. I would hold off till Munich show, at least. Save a couple of bucks and invest on something else

Ah, heck, sometimes it's fun to test drive some devices. I've not had a hard time re-selling stuff that I don't need on Audiogon. But perhaps you're more patient!Angel
(11-Dec-2014, 14:40)Flashman Wrote:

I need a pretty simple way for my wife to play music through the Devialet. She what's known as a luddite. The Bluesound Node sounds pretty simple with "decent enough" sound for Spotify and Tidal. All she has to do is press one button to turn on the Devialet and then she can work the Bluesound app on our iPad. Not sure at this point if Spotify and Tidal are integrated into the Bluesound app or whether you need to open them separately. I think with a little patience she will manage.

As for me, I like pristine sound -- well, as pristine as my 63-year-old ears can hear! Currently, I use Air with a computer but it's a pain because the computer is in another room. Plus, Air is still a bit flawed with occasional dropouts, white noise (not so much now as in the past), etc. So my long term plan is to leash a music server via AES/EBU to the Devialet. This future source will be the Geek Source, which will read all the hi-res audio file formats, has a 4TB hard drive, separate power source, special clocks, etc. Not sure whether it will accommodate streaming, though, so maybe the Node is a long-term second source as described above.

So there's my plan!

I would like to share my experiences and thoughts so far with Sonos/Bluesound/M50/PC/Oppo 105/others. My 3 main concerns were 1 soundquality, 2 OS quality and support and 3 Wife friendly UI.

Almost all HIFI brands do resonable to great SQ but very few do all 3. Its seems that as long as they are in there comfort zone. Devialet has a great platform to work from, they can be as good as they want to be. The main problem/potential lies in customer base. The bigger the customer base the more money you have, which gives much more resources for evolving and maintaining your product.

I choose the NAD M50, i use Deltaco USB interface with Corsair 128 SSD connected with QED USB cable for serious listening. Its sounds great!!! The platform is ever evolving thx to the OS bieng Bluos and getting the same uppgrades as the Bluesound devices.

My wife does not have to learn the M50 app she simply clicks 2 times within the Spotify connect app and tranfers the stream responsibility to the M50/Bluesound while maintaning controll with her phone or any device which has the M50/Bluesound app. If its a playlist the M50 will continue the list until it ends whitout the original phone being in play at all.

I know M50 is DSD/DXD capable but dont see Nad getting a license. Imo i dont really care about DSD for alot of reasons.

I mostly play music from the SSD but also from my Qnap 219 P. This is important if you are looking for maximmum SQ playing the file from a server is not as good as playing from a local HD or even better a local SSD connected directly to the M50, this has been my experience and conclusion so far.

PS like that my M50 can switch the whole riggSmile