Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titanium tweeter
"Starting with a new custom design pure Titanium tweeter 2 x faster than most typical soft domes, new magnetic drive for the coaxial mid-range driver and increased power handling for the twin woofers. 

The result is an amazing 108dB output, with bass as low as 15hz and high frequency response to 27Khz! All of which may mean a lot, or nothing until you hear the new Phantom Gold for yourself."

http://www.hifi.com.sg/journal/sview.asp?id=798

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Nice! Thank you!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Wouldn’t it be interesting if the “old” phantoms could be upgraded with the new tweeter?
Onkyo Integra DV-SP1000 / Slim Devices Transporter -> D440pro -> Elac FS607 X-Jet
Gold Phantoms (Stereo)

G E R M A N Y

My ears are ringing just reading about it.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(29-Jun-2016, 15:08)Dr Tone Wrote: My ears are ringing just reading about it.

Maybe you have Titanium ears  Rolleyes
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(29-Jun-2016, 18:26)Silvertouran Wrote:
(29-Jun-2016, 15:08)Dr Tone Wrote: My ears are ringing just reading about it.

Maybe you have Titanium ears  Rolleyes

No just sensitive.  Sad
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(29-Jun-2016, 15:05)Herman Wrote: Wouldn’t it be interesting if the “old” phantoms could be upgraded with the new tweeter?

If that would prove to be a tangible difference (not just the extra power) then I would bet many of us here would be interested in such an upgrade.
I am told that the difference is very tangible. Time will tell as reports by actual users come in who also own the Silver. I do believe that there will be substantial improvement.
Here is what f1eng had to say about Titanium tweeters:

I am bemused by the suggestion of a Ti tweeter. With few exceptions (Be, B) most engineering metals have more or less the same specific stiffness, that is to say ratio of density:modulus.
Titanium is quite a bit heavier than aluminium, so a titanium dome of the same weight as the existing aluminium dome will have to be thinner. Since the bending stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed that means a Ti dome will break up at a lower frequency than an Al one. On top of that anodising Al leaves a hard coating which may well increase its stiffness still further (I haven't checked the modulus of the aluminium oxide anodised layer).

So whilst this may be a better tweeter than the current one it won't be because it is Titanium.

As far as metals go only Beryllium has much better properties for tweeter domes than others, Magnesium may have a touch higher breakup frequency than aluminium, which will be slightly higher again Titanium if each are the same weight, since the less dense materials will be a tiny bit thicker.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I'm not sure if just the tweeter upgrade by itself will make any remarkable difference given the mid and woofers are still the same. Midrange is where I felt at times needed a little boost but the highs and the lows are perfectly fine for me. A combination of SAMV2 ADHV2 and Devialet DAC upgrades will probably make the mids sound better which remains to be heard once the golds are out in the wild.