Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To DPM or not? That is the question.
Did you turn off DPM on your D400 because you found that without DPM the sound is better?

What other tweeks in the configuration did you do?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
I don't have a 400 but I leave it off on my 200 as I noticed immediately a lack of dynamics with it on. It affects transients, leading/trailing edges, the strike of a key, the pluck of a string, the punch of a drum and their subsequent decay. Hard to describe but it feels like I lose the immediacy of the initial strike, pluck and punch at the beginning and the decay ends sooner than it should. Sounds synthetic, unreal and lacking most true-to-source realism. I've had similar problems related to AC power in other places I lived when I was younger. Places where I could only get 108 volts AC instead of the 120V advertised. Also on under-gauged power cords coupled with high powered amps and as I've said recently with PEM filters. I especially became aware of it on the Devialet only after activating DPM... not before. DPM on/off for whatever reason is VERY easy for me to hear and at my age 'hearing' isn't what it used to be and the sole reason I sold all my 192k equipment 2-3 years ago. But DPM on/off to me is night & day!

I only use a single source so the best config to my ears tends to be as near as right-gutta-the-box-new with as few changes as possible. I've dallied all over the map but the closer I stay to home in that regard, the better things sound to me. But unquestionably DPM is my biggest nemesis SQ-wise and the very first thing I'll be comparing upon reassembly with no PEM installed. I do want to like it but so far its been a total no-go!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(20-Aug-2015, 03:53)Manoet Wrote: I don't have a 400 but I leave it off on my 200 as I noticed immediately a lack of dynamics with it on. It affects transients, leading/trailing edges, the strike of a key, the pluck of a string, the punch of a drum and their subsequent decay. Hard to describe but it feels like I lose the immediacy of the initial strike, pluck and punch at the beginning and the decay ends sooner than it should. Sounds synthetic, unreal and lacking most true-to-source realism. I've had similar problems related to AC power in other places I lived when I was younger. Places where I could only get 108 volts AC instead of the 120V advertised. Also on under-gauged power cords coupled with high powered amps and as I've said recently with PEM filters. I especially became aware of it on the Devialet only after activating DPM... not before. DPM on/off for whatever reason is VERY easy for me to hear and at my age 'hearing' isn't what it used to be and the sole reason I sold all my 192k equipment 2-3 years ago. But DPM on/off to me is night & day!

I only use a single source so the best config to my ears tends to be as near as right-gutta-the-box-new with as few changes as possible. I've dallied all over the map but the closer I stay to home in that regard, the better things sound to me. But unquestionably DPM is my biggest nemesis SQ-wise and the very first thing I'll be comparing upon reassembly with no PEM installed. I do want to like it but so far its been a total no-go!

Hi Manoet,

Does that mean that you are running another D200 in addition to the one that you are "re-working", or is this an observation on DPM before "strip down", just curious Confused.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Sorry for the confusion. Just the one 'scattered' 200 and going from memory and journal entries.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(20-Aug-2015, 13:33)Manoet Wrote: Sorry for the confusion. Just the one 'scattered' 200 and going from memory and journal entries.

Thanks Manoet. By the way I am in complete awe of your extended "weekend tweak". You are attempting something I would never dream of Smile. Very much look forward to the next instalment, and the final results of your endeavours.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I have to admit I don't actually notice much (if any) difference with DPM on or off. I ran it with it on for a while because I liked the thermal regulation and I was convinced for a time that it sounded better at lower temperatures. I've been testing things over summer and become less convinced of that idea though. Been running with DPM off for the last few months, probably because logic says it probably is better off.
I remember talking to Mattheiu from Devialet at the Oxford Audio Phantom even recently and he was telling me how DPM worked. I didn't take it all in but it's pretty clever, and seems to sample the music currently playing to determine how to shape the power capability - not just overall (I think) but transient power requirements.
I have been running with DPM on. Last weekend, I did notice one or two tracks that sounded just fractionally harsh in the treble and started the old "was 7.1.3 better routine". I have now turned DPM off and so far I think it is better. Oddly enough, it's not better where you might think, that is bass and dynamics etc. It just sounds smoother, with a drop in HF harshness with some material.

I am forming a theory here. I recall reading a review of the KEF Blades a while back, the reviewer noticed some minor HF issues, switching to a more powerful amp apparently resolved this.

When we think of power, it is easy to relate this to the LF end of things, but tweeters can be very problematic load wise. (I used to know someone with a fully active tri-amped PMC set up, and it was the HF amp that used to trip occasionally, not the amp dealing with 10" bass drivers)

Rufus' comments above are interesting "(DPM) seems to sample the music currently playing to determine how to shape the power capability - not just overall (I think) but transient power requirements." Yes, cleaver stuff, but is it smart enough to know that your particular tweeter might present a very demanding load now and again?
I asked one of the guys from Devialet if DPM improves the sound quality at all and the answer was no. He said it just allows the unit to use less power/electricity and therefore be more efficient and environmentally friendly. If its SQ you care about, keep DPM off. I'm not fussed about saving more electricity for the environment because the Devialet without DPM is already a mile 'greener' than the class a amplifier I had before it Smile
(22-Aug-2015, 13:11)wikeeboy Wrote: I asked one of the guys from Devialet if DPM improves the sound quality at all and the answer was no. He said it just allows the unit to use less power/electricity and therefore be more efficient and environmentally friendly. If its SQ you care about, keep DPM off. I'm not fussed about saving more electricity for the environment because the Devialet without DPM is already a mile 'greener' than the class a amplifier I had before it Smile

Actually, if my system is sounding good, I spend less time driving my old and inefficient V8 car.  So DPM on is an environmental winner!  Angel
(22-Aug-2015, 13:11)wikeeboy Wrote: I asked one of the guys from Devialet if DPM improves the sound quality at all and the answer was no. He said it just allows the unit to use less power/electricity and therefore be more efficient and environmentally friendly. If its SQ you care about, keep DPM off. I'm not fussed about saving more electricity for the environment because the Devialet without DPM is already a mile 'greener' than the class a amplifier I had before it Smile

I asked one of the Devialet designers the same question. He said DPM made no difference to SQ so one may as well leave it on...
I don't hear a difference so I do leave it on. At least the lower temps may help longevity.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire