Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ...
(04-Jan-2022, 21:15)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you are using the speaker level entries for your Sub, then it is really a bad idea to use SAM, because your sub will be fed with the electric signal calculated by SAM according the the characteristics of the speakers and not at all adapted to your sub.

Jean-Marie

100% in agreement. SAM didn't somehow work well in my setup hence turned it Off. Dedicated pair of subs using High-Level input came to rescue and was a game changer.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
One thing you may want to compare is speakers + subwoofers, vs. speakers with SAM. You may well prefer the latter
(05-Jan-2022, 13:34)Blackmorec Wrote: One thing you may want to compare is speakers + subwoofers, vs. speakers with SAM. You may well prefer the latter

That is what I am going through at this time. One of my thoughts has been whether SAM might replace the need for a subwoofer?

I have loaded 10.1.0 and started running it without the KC62. Only briefly so far. It is too early to conclude anything but the LS50 Metas sounded quite sterile - very clear but light on emotion. I am not even sure that SAM was on! It sounded much lighter on the bottom end than I expected. 

There is no manual for installing and using SAM. I've read about being able to add percentages, but only on the forums. I have not found anything on the Devialet website. I came across a review by Darko, who described using the remote to switch SAM on and off. There was also some mention of using the remote to set the percentage of SAM. 

This is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without a picture. Can anyone here explain the process?

Regards from Perth

Derek
(05-Jan-2022, 13:34)Blackmorec Wrote: One thing you may want to compare is speakers + subwoofers, vs. speakers with SAM. You may well prefer the latter

Only if subwoofers are not well integrated / optimized.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

@derekcohen
Depending of the remote settings - keep the 2nd (my case) or 3rd button pressed for couple of seconds. You will enter menu/submenu where you can set SAM percentage (and also balance, bass, treble). The default value on my 440 Pro was 0%.

Note: Button for SAM on/off must be enabled / assigned.

Let’s be clear: SAM cannot go past the physical limits of the woofer in the speaker.

So yes, it will certainly give you a better integration and phase alignment than most speaker + sub, but the SPL in the low octaves won’t be able to reach what a much larger speaker in a Sub would do.

And as others said, you can do proper integration between speakers and Subs (although it requires measurements to achieve), in which case it’s likely to be a solution hard to match without moving to more full range speakers.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(05-Jan-2022, 14:01)derekcohen Wrote:

That is what I am going through at this time. One of my thoughts has been whether SAM might replace the need for a subwoofer?

I have loaded 10.1.0 and started running it without the KC62. Only briefly so far. It is too early to conclude anything but the LS50 Metas sounded quite sterile - very clear but light on emotion. I am not even sure that SAM was on! It sounded much lighter on the bottom end than I expected. 

There is no manual for installing and using SAM. I've read about being able to add percentages, but only on the forums. I have not found anything on the Devialet website. I came across a review by Darko, who described using the remote to switch SAM on and off. There was also some mention of using the remote to set the percentage of SAM. 

This is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without a picture. Can anyone here explain the process?

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is about as close as Devialet ever got to producing a manual. It might help clarify a little, at least it has some pictures!

https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/d...al-8-1.pdf

https://data.heimkinowelt.at/d/devialet-white-paper.pdf
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
A little update.

First, many thanks all for helping with everything so far, and now with firmware options and SAM.

To try SAM with the LS50 Metas, the KC62 sub has been switched off. I first tried 10.1.0. My first impression was that it was very clinical - clear, but lacking warmth. A large part of this was that the absence of deep bass. I expected SAM to fill in more than it did. Now, I may still be missing something basic, such as SAM actually working! I have not mastered the settings of SAM other that on-and-off.

Anyway, I tried 8.1.3 with the same SAM setting. It sounded bloated by comparison. The clarity was absent.

So I returned to 10.1.0, but this time with SAM off and the KC62 back on. Much better. What was missing with the first set up was the deeper bass, which not only could now be felt, but created warmth. I'm going to keep this going for a while, then return to 7.1.3 - the memory of that, without SAM, but with the KC62 still seems the best of all.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Have you tried to change SAM %?

I don't know how to do that. I tried using the remote buttons - set up the middle one for SAM. However, pressing it only switches SAM on or off, not a %. What do I do?

Regards from Perth

Derek