Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone control?
Hi all
I have a single silver phantom and am not bowled over by the high frequencies, just a personal opinion. I know getting a second and obviously stereo will make a large difference in terms spatial tone etc but I'm wondering if there is any built in way to eq the phantoms, I like my cymbals to stand out! I have found a workaround with using a Bluesound node 2 which you can use its inbuilt tone controls even when using the optical out which surprised me and in my personal opinion this greatly improves the sound (just a personal opinion) but just wondering if there was a proper way to do this?
Thanks
Nick
Ear wax , see your doctor.
just my opinion ;-)
(29-Jan-2016, 07:36)phantomaussie Wrote: Ear wax , see your doctor.
just my opinion ;-)

I kind of understand why you say that because the Phantom is not short of treble at all! If someone does a frequency response test I would imagine that there is a bit of a u-shape to the sound (raised bass, raised treble). So I am very surprised to see anyone wanting to raise it further unless the speaker is not at the right height to the listener.
Nothing "built-in" by Devialet I'm afraid. It's one of the advantages of playing back from a computer into the Optical, though. JRiver has a comprehensive Parametric Equalizer which I had to use to eliminate my room's massive 30Hz hump, which the Phantoms ruthlessly expose. (And so do my XTZ floorstanders now that I've had them SAMmed.)

I'm with you, that I don't think that Phantom treble lives up to the standard of their bass, and especially not up to my Ribbon Tweeters.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I have only managed with a Musical Fidelity Xtone tone control, for Analogue input (TT into Tone Control into ADC into dialogue

Although I have to say I only use it to roll OFF the treble or tone down the bass sometimes Smile

I guess you could use it for digital as well but would need Digital to Analogue to Optical

But no - long story short, nothing in Spark yet Sad
It is not the quantity of treble, but the QUALITY of the treble. I do think Phantoms are very good but its resolution and transient speeds can be bettered by significantly lower priced speakers. Of course, this is just a small part of the equation beause speakers do not have amps and dacs built in, AND speakers the size of Phantoms cannot extend as low. But if are talking about trebles alone, yes it can be bettered. I've mentioned to some of the Devialet personnel to consider upgrading the tweeter to beryllium tweeters.
Devices like the DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0 will allow you to "equalize" the Phantoms for your application, either custom set by you or using their auto-eq features. Placing the device as the optical in to your dialog or Phantom will do the trick. There are a number of "software" equalizers that you can run from your laptop to achieve the same result when your source material is on your computer.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
(29-Jan-2016, 22:56)MountainGuy Wrote: It is not the quantity of treble, but the QUALITY of the treble.  I do think Phantoms are very good but its resolution and transient speeds can be bettered by significantly lower priced speakers.  Of course, this is just a small part of the equation beause speakers do not have amps and dacs built in, AND speakers the size of Phantoms cannot extend as low.  But if are talking about trebles alone, yes it can be bettered. I've mentioned to some of the Devialet personnel to consider upgrading the tweeter to beryllium tweeters.

But an equaliser won't address the quality of the treble - only the quantity of it?

And this discussion was about EQ right?
(29-Jan-2016, 23:54)ondastar Wrote: Devices like the DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0 will allow you to "equalize" the Phantoms for your application, either custom set by you or using their auto-eq features. Placing the device as the optical in to your dialog or Phantom will do the trick.

Hi, I'm on my way of getting a 2 pairs of Phantoms as I'm replacing my Sonos multi-room ( with active speakers). Today I'm using the DSPeaker 2.0 as a Pre-Amp/  DAC/ DSP / Room-correction in my high-end set-up. understand you can connect the DSPeaker directly into the Phantom, but will it also be possible to connect it to the Dialog, and by that use it for all Phantoms connected ?
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Both Phantom and Dialog had a stereo toslink input that's available for all the Phantoms.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage