Poll: Do you use tone controls?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.37%
52 35.37%
No
60.54%
89 60.54%
Yes but it has a negative impact on SQ
2.72%
4 2.72%
No because it has a negative impact on SQ
1.36%
2 1.36%
Total 147 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone controls
I agree, The tone controls should not have been configured as they are , the filters should have been parametric which would be MUCH more useful
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Tried to play with Tone control in Devialet configurator to tweak a little my Magico S1 in the lower part,
no matter what parameters i used, the end result was adding very unpleasant distortion .

Is it only me with such issues or some other members share my insights?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Can you eleborate on 'distortion' a bit more? All I notice is a change in lows and highs.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Switched to YG Carmel and tone control is working like it should now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(05-May-2015, 14:54)Stigmater Wrote: Switched to YG Carmel and tone control is working like it should now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I am using the tone controls, with the treble currently boosted to +3.5. However, that is with the current speakers, the GamuT Phi5 kmII. I might not boost the treble with the other speakers in my collection. I do like the Devialet for this; the tone adjustment is in the software, rather than in hardware with physical movement in controls. I also like that we can adjust the frequency that the treble and bass affect. Yes, I suppose a parametric EQ would be nice, but I think it would be as much of a distraction as a useful tool. BTW, I have the treble adjusted, so I 'use' the tone control, but I don't change it. It is set, and I leave it unless I change speakers. Maybe not even then.

The pre-amplifier is supposed to take the input signal, convert it into the appropriate form (ADC or DAC), allow volume control, and then have the power amp amplify the signal without altering it... or so they say. Whatever. I think the tone controls are good, and valuable. If the upstream signal is pure, we should not need to adjust tone. But, since recordings vary, and speakers vary, and cables and shelves affect sound, and we all (or most of us) have rooms with furniture, or reflective walls, then the ability to edit the sonic signature is a good option. Says I.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(02-Mar-2015, 15:37)Rodney Gold Wrote: I agree, The tone controls should not have been configured as they are , the filters should have been parametric which would be MUCH more useful

ditto 
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Use them. Glad to have them. Don't notice sound degradation unless pushed hard which I would expect. Wish all amplifiers had them.

Don't like the implementation. Even if not parametric, at least let you change the frequencies via remote! What idiot thought of the current methodology!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'm the happy owner of a Devialet 120 since one week now, I tried to use the tone controls but I encounter a strange issue in the following scenario:
SAM is enabled
SAM is set to 0 % (meaning it does not add any bass at all)
Increasing the bass with the tone control for a few dB on a bass-heavy track introduces an horrible distortion, regardless of the volume setting (i.e. the saturation doesn't come from the speakers)

If I do the same with SAM disabled on the exact same track, I can go up to 18dB with the bass without introducing distortion ! (Although the bass are of course extremely boomy)

I reported the problem to Devialet, I'm awaiting their answer... Anyone experienced the same ?

I'm currently using f/w 7.1.3, because the 8.0 is unusable with SAM on my speakers (BW 683 S2). Devialet is aware of the issue...
I use them all the time to equalize old recordings... a little extra bass here and there. I imagine people that hear distortion from doing this is because they are overdoing it.