Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver or Gold for House/Electronic?
Hi, 

I'm hoping that someone who have tried both Silvers and Golds can please help me to decide if the Golds are better, when listening to mostly House and Electronic music?

Some say that the Bass in the Silvers are "better"...

Thanks!  Rolleyes
Happy owner of 2xGold Phantoms, 2xRemotes, Dialog w/Airplay and Cocoon
I'ved used 2 Silver during one year and now I use Gold for 10 months. I listen to various styles, electro included. Gold are better for all of them. The more obvious diffrence is for rock music. Regarding bass and dynamica, it's always better.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(28-Nov-2017, 13:43)Hissbull Wrote: Hi, 

I'm hoping that someone who have tried both Silvers and Golds can please help me to decide if the Golds are better, when listening to mostly House and Electronic music?

Thanks!  Rolleyes

Same as for Jean-Claude for me the Golds are better than the Silvers independent of the music genres. However, I can only speak for Silvers that were produced in 2015. I have owner Silvers from the first batch (now being golded) and from the first batch that included bluetooth (autumn 2015). Knowing that the latest Silver Phantoms have ADH2 this should improve their sound quality quite dramatically towards the one of the Golds. I guess that the hights with the titan tweeters in the Golds might be better than the aluminium ones of the Silvers. But in the analysis I would also include the possibility to be able to buy 3 Silvers compared to 2 Golds at almost the same prize. So when the intension is to fill a roon with high quality sound 3 Silvers will do a better job than 2 Golds for a party setup. I‘m using 2 Golds and one Silver in a triangle in my living room. This is a great setup for a dance floor!
(28-Nov-2017, 22:08)streamy Wrote:

Thanks!  Rolleyes

Same as for Jean-Claude for me the Golds are better than the Silvers independent of the music genres. However, I can only speak for Silvers that were produced in 2015. I have owner Silvers from the first batch (now being golded) and from the first batch that included bluetooth (autumn 2015). Knowing that the latest Silver Phantoms have ADH2 this should improve their sound quality quite dramatically towards the one of the Golds. I guess that the hights with the titan tweeters in the Golds might be better than the aluminium ones of the Silvers. But in the analysis I would also include the possibility to be able to buy 3 Silvers compared to 2 Golds at almost the same prize. So when the intension is to fill a roon with high quality sound 3 Silvers will do a better job than 2 Golds for a party setup. I‘m using 2 Golds and one Silver in a triangle in my living room. This is a great setup for a dance floor!

My thought is if you are going to value, the current 'elevate/white' is the best value and if you don't want Gold, then go for four Whites and you should have a much better distribution of audio if you area is large.
(28-Nov-2017, 23:29)MountainGuy Wrote: My thought is if you are going to value, the current 'elevate/white' is the best value and if you don't want Gold, then go for four Whites and you should have a much better distribution of audio if you area is large.
Only when someone can confirm that the Elevate has at low volume the same SQ as the Gold or at least is very close to it in terms of much reduced hiss compared to earlier Silver and White Phantoms and in terms of more SQ has more open mids and hights that do not attenuate at 15kHz. Then, 4 Elevates would be very competitive to a stereo setup of Golds. Also, maybe in the future 4.0 systems could gain some interest again. Currently, there are some recordings in quadrophony, e.g. from Pink Floyd.
(28-Nov-2017, 23:29)MountainGuy Wrote:
(28-Nov-2017, 22:08)streamy Wrote:

Thanks!  Rolleyes

My thought is if you are going to value, the current 'elevate/white' is the best value and if you don't want Gold, then go for four Whites and you should have a much better distribution of audio if you area is large.

Having had "White" and Silver Phantoms that have been "golded", I would categorical state across all types of music including electronica, the Golds are better. There are few times  in higher end audio you can get this difference in quality for the difference in price between between the Silvers and Golds IMHO. Always easy to spend other peoples money for them but if you are asking the question, I am almost sure you will always wonder if you made the right decision if you don't go Gold.
Now a happy owner of 2 Golded Phantoms!! Thanks for the replies and advise Smile
Happy owner of 2xGold Phantoms, 2xRemotes, Dialog w/Airplay and Cocoon
Yes, Golds are MUCH better than the Silvers to me. They do have 'hotter' tweeters and thus, the bass in comparison may feel a bit less. However, that's an illusion. I've been playing with other speakers with EQ etc and it is remarkable how changing the frequency balance can change the apparent sense of how much bass or articulation a speaker has.
Just received my Duo set of Elevates/Trees/Dialogue (less than 48 hours France to Midwest btw) on 45 day trial and am quite impressed. Absolutely no hiss. Have no comparison to other Phantoms and took this leap of faith based purely upon 45 day free shipping both ways trial. I am so impressed that I’m tempted to go Gold during 45 day trial, given all that I hear about Gold here! The off axis dispersion of these is phenomenal/uncanny. I can not localize the Phantoms - they seem very airy, if not a bit bass heavy (ambient chill Tidal). Would hope that an ability to tilt bass and or treble would come some day. Room correction/Cinema even better! 

I know that this is all purely my subjective on my part and I have no prior Phantom comparison experience. My most recent prior experience was with Bluesound Powernode 2 driving some Monitor Audio GX50’s or Martin Logan LX15’s with Velodyne Sub. Wonder if they’d send a second overlapping 45 day trial of Golds and I could compare directly? ?