Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transport Insurance for Phantoms
Hi all,

I'm transporting Phantoms from Singapore to USA as checked baggage, (see my thread: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3012).

I'm looking for insurance to cover damage to the speakers, which although they will be packed inside and outer box housing their original boxes, is still needed for some peace of mind.

Problem is, I can't find anywhere offering excess declared value cover for the baggage - most travel insurance policies have limits of $500 per item ($1000 for a laptop), but the companies in Singapore (AMEX/ACE/CHUBB)  seem unable to provide cover for declared, high value items, preferring to just serve up their standard inflexible policies.

Does anyone know a company (Singapore or international) that might cover me for this? I've heard airlines have their own rates to provide cover for declared excess value, but haven't been able to call Singapore Airlines yet to find out.

Thanks!
[url=http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3012][/url]
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
According to https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/globa...of-notice/ (Point 25), Singapore Airlines indeed offers excess valuation ("Excess valuation may be declared on certain types of articles.").

I wasn't able to find their rates on the website though...
Good find, thanks.

I called the airline customer service and they have no idea, they said I need to take care of that at the airport, and that the service people there would know what to do. They couldn't even quote me the applicable rate. At least the staff there are Singapore Airlines and not outsourced to Dnata or whoever, but this is not really satisfactory since there's no guarantee of me turning up and getting what I need...

Will continue looking for insurers and just try to do a good pack job and get the excess valuation declared (and paid for?) at the airport.
--
Can you just hand carry it on the plane? At least one of them.
(17-Sep-2016, 08:22)MountainGuy Wrote: Can you just hand carry it on the plane?  At least one of them.

Unforch, I'm maxxing out my baggage allowance on all fronts and no room for this! I think they break the allowed carry on weight and dimensions anyway.
--
Well, here's what happened:

Turned up at the airport and check in staff (who, unlike what I was told on the phone, were third party SATS staff and not from Singapore Airlines) had no real idea what to do with the declaration of excess valuation. I said I just wanted to fulfil my part of he deal by declaring the value and then they could charge me or whatever... just as long as they realised I had made the declaration and they might be on the hook for increased liability. The duty manager likewise could not work out what they could do, and ended up having to call in an actual staff member of Singapore Airlines, of which there were apparently only two (of his type?) in the whole airport. This guy was friendly and reasonable, and apart from the generic response of trying to put it on the travel insurer (who wouldn't cover increased value) and not knowing what policy (if any) they had in this situation, he did recommend that a comment be added to my reservation listing and this being used in the unlikely event of damage to the speakers. I was happy with this as it acknowledged my declaration. They wanted to see receipts for the value (which I luckily had electronically on my phone through DropBox), and plastered the box (I did a good pack job and also got it luggage-wrapped) with fragile and priority stickers.

The speakers came through OK, with no obvious dings on the corners or sides of the box, but haven't had a chance to unpack and test them yet (need a universal power strip to convert the UK plugs to US!). So in the end my international relocation seems to have gone fine!
--
Glad to hear they are safe and without any physical damage. Hope you didn't forget to do the 7% VAT refund at the airport.
Didn't try - no time!!! Would they have qualified, having been used already?
--
I brought my Phantoms in cargo. Just packed wrapped it around in a bubble-wrap, added external carton and strapped a special carry belt to it. Worked flawlessly.