Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling Internationally with Phantom
Has anyone travelled internationally with Phantom and if so, how did you do it?

Thoughts on transporting Phantom in its original box as checked luggage? And thoughts on transporting it in both it’s original box and shipping box through checked luggage?

For me hand luggage is unavailable due to Phantom exceeding weight limits and strict checks in my country on that. The only way is checked luggage.

The last time I transported Phantom I put it in checked luggage in its Cocoon and then in a semi-hard luggage bag. It got dented on the woofers quite badly. That’s been replace and I now have a new one. This time I hope to get it to and from in perfect condition.

My thoughts is that the original box and shipping box will do. Anyone from Australia here too that could also add their thoughts on this with the airlines. The shipping box is quite large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Original shipping box of course
(06-Jan-2018, 02:57)kmjy Wrote: Has anyone travelled internationally with Phantom and if so, how did you do it?

Thoughts on transporting Phantom in its original box as checked luggage? And thoughts on transporting it in both it’s original box and shipping box through checked luggage?

For me hand luggage is unavailable due to Phantom exceeding weight limits and strict checks in my country on that. The only way is checked luggage.

The last time I transported Phantom I put it in checked luggage in its Cocoon and then in a semi-hard luggage bag. It got dented on the woofers quite badly. That’s been replace and I now have a new one. This time I hope to get it to and from in perfect condition.

My thoughts is that the original box and shipping box will do. Anyone from Australia here too that could also add their thoughts on this with the airlines. The shipping box is quite large.

Best way 
Use ups or dhl and the phantom will be delivered to your international address safely...and probably cheaper..
Unless you plan to carry it with you in the cabin ..there is always a chance that the phantom will be damaged in a normal passenger flight.
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
(06-Jan-2018, 02:57)kmjy Wrote: Has anyone travelled internationally with Phantom and if so, how did you do it?

See my thread: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3012

I took 2 Phantom Silvers in checked from Singapore to San Francisco. Original box, PLUS, plastic wrap, cardboard box and luggage wrap. Heaps of gaffa tape. All was fine. For insurance though, I couldn't get anything to cover them so had to rely on the excess value declaration of Singapore Airline's Conditions of Carriage: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/globa...-carriage/

The third party workers at the desk had no idea about this, so an actual airline rep had to come down and they took a note that I was declaring excess value, which I felt fine about since then I had fulfilled my obligations in case of a claim against them (they can levy a charge based on excess value, but they seemed to think it would be fine. Must be flying all the designer handbags around). Bring your receipts though. I'm Aussie but no idea whether Qantas would give you the same treatment, but they would probably charge you for the privilege (cmon, $46Bn profit and zero tax paid).
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
What about putting it inside a cocoon travel bag, and taking it onto the plane as carry luggage ? 

I have read of this being done and wanted to try it myself.
Had bad experience with this. Tweeter in Gold got damaged for some reason.
My suggestion, original packaging and aluminum flight case (with other expensive equipment already tested and ok)!
Photo, just as an example!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria