Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treble & Low Volumes
I have a 120 on loan for home audition and it is absolutely brilliant at medium and high volume levels. At low volumes, however, the imaging collapses and the treble - specifically voice - recede pretty significantly. Has anyone else encountered this? Is a 200 perhaps less prone to this given bigger power supply? thanks for your help
They did mention some loss of sound quality at low volume in the recent What Hifi review, might be worth a look. (Not that What Hifi reviews ever seem to correlate with anything I have actually heard)
I have a tiny listening room and tend to play at quite low volumes. There does seem to be a threshold below which SQ drops off a little. This is with my 200. I guess speakers and their sensitive will play a significant role in all this and how hard the Devialet is driving them. Mine are a relatively easy load so might partly explain the not-quite-so-good performance at low volumes as the amp is not being driven too hard. Pure speculation on my part there.
Hi,

I would say that it is an effect of the loudspeaker as I have some of it with my loudspeakers. However said that, I noticed better low level SQ when stepping up the power ladder from 170 to 200 to 400. It is a combination of effects but loudspeaker should count for most of it, my 5 cents.
I have a very clear threshold when the speaker 'releases' the sound.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Mike has a point - my old JBL's we're not good at low volume, although this was a issue with overall balance and bass, not so much treble. Thee could be a number of factors going on here of course.
Hello, I think my 200 performs well with low volumes, it was one of the reasons I decided to upgrade...

Having said that, I do not know if other systems would be better.

Regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
The same was true for my 250, sounds excellent quiet. Just switched to the 800, no idea if this sounds good at low volume, I can't bring myself to turn it down!
(14-Sep-2014, 12:12)Confused Wrote: The same was true for my 250, sounds excellent quiet. Just switched to the 800, no idea if this sounds good at low volume, I can't bring myself to turn it down!

Yep I know that feeling. Amazing how loud it will go don't you think? Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK