Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tree/Branch Stands - audio quality comparison with traditional stands?
(12-Mar-2016, 20:19)IanG-UK Wrote: Mainly aesthetics in my view. Difficult to get a stand which matches the Phantom bacause of its oval footprint. And a stand which conceals the cabling.

Devialet claim heatsink advantages too, though I would have thought these minimal.

Very expensive for what it is but beautifully made.

It is mainly aesthetics as I have seen these but the heat sink and the way the cable is hidden are all nice perks as well. It is overall an excellent stand. In many instances it makes a difference in the quality of the sound especially given the fact the proper setup of the phantom does make a big difference in sound as the setup is more finicky than some other top end systems. But as many of you know the right setup puts it up there which much more expensive systems. 

What gets me is that the branch was available for a small handful of people in Canada for $495 now to find out they jacked up the price on the new branch called tree another $30 and the new white tree is now the same price as the old branch. Especially given the roll out of the branch was delayed and sucked for many of us dedicated phantom fans they should at least give us the chance to get it for the original price instead of making us wait so long and then jacking up the price like that.
2 White phantoms with remote and waiting for the 2 branches
Marantz amp with B and W CM 9 with Polk 12"
Branch does sound better by far don't now why, seems crazy but it definitely does....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davidadamson,

In what way for you? And did you have another stand in the same place that is about the same height before the Branch? HOpe you don't mind follow-up questions. Moving it to different location may account for the improvement. But I hope not - would be great for the Phantom jump another notch.

They are beautiful looking.
Before I received my Branch pair of stands, I used my silver phantom on my previous stands which were cast iron UK stands that were about 12 lbs each. Phantoms sat at about 30" high right on top. There was little bass output with that setup.

Once Branch finally arrived and I got them placed at the exact same spots, bass response significantly improved. I can't imagine how they help as a heat sink, but it seems their mass and large base (much larger than my previous stands) is the difference. Perhaps those with equally hefty stands can confirm similar.
My previous stands were the same height and pretty well made. They branch stands are in the exact same location and to be honest I bought them for looks and neater cable managements.
But the improvement was immediate and noticeable with deeper more defined bass, it was a nice surprise.

kameraguy & davidadamson,

THANKS. Very helpful as you both have close to the same setup except for varying the stand.
Dropping from 30 to 26 inches should improve bass a touch but probably not to the degree you described so I assume that's the stand's effect.

And by the way, though Phantoms are touted for their bass, I also feel that the bass in my room can be improved in terms of upper bass. Was hoping room correction software will correct that but sounds like the stands resolves some of that.

Any changes in the trebles?
I have carpet on thick underlay . The rubber feet on the branch are no good for carpet, screwed up the sound.
if you have carpet they need spikes or just stand them on something solid (or a combination of both !)

I think they look and sound great , their placement in the room is key.
Just checked height on old stands and they are 24 as opposed to the branch 26, and not as heavy

I received my Tree yesterday and set it up last evening. It's a bit of a pain getting the speaker on the stand with all of the cables properly routed, but once everything is set they look and sound great. There was an immediate improvement in the sound, which is obvious as I previously had them standing on top of a TV stand where they were too close to the wall and too close together.

Once I found the sweet spot for the stands in my room - wow. Remember that first wow factor when you turned up the volume on your Phantoms? You'll have another if you change your set-up like I did and find the proper placement in your room.

Finally feel like I have the placement all finished thanks to the stand. Now back to waiting on Spark to get the improvements that have been promised... but that's a topic for a different thread.
Quick question for you Branch/Tree owners.

Once you installed the Phantom on the stands, how solid is the connection? By this question, I'm really asking - Can you MOVE the Phantom/Branch combo by simply lifting the stand and moving it up and down a flight of stairs? Is the connection strong/tight enough that you can hold the long stand horizontally and balance it like you would an actual log when carrying it? Or would the Phantom fall off? It is after all over 11 kg/24 lbs.

Thanks!