Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting Phantom optical input
I have a setup with two Phantom Golds, which in addition to streaming music I use for PlayStation (4) and Apple TV audio through the TVs optical output.

Problem is, I changed to an older TV (larger Samsung “flagship” model from ~2010), and now no audio is heard through the Phantoms optical input. It worked before, with more modern TV.

The thing is:
- Using TV “test/troubleshoot audio” feature, the audio works fine through the Phantoms
- But when playing PS4 or Apple TV (HDMI inputs to TV) NO audio is heard through Phantoms if activating TV’s “external speakers” in its settings, although in Devialet app I see optical inputs active and sound icon (see pic) “dancing” (as in moving). TV internal speakers works fine, i.e. nothing wrong with HDMI inputs…

Of course I suspect older TV to be the problem, and I’ve read about it being a fact that SOME TVs can’t output optical audio coming from HDMI input, but:
- The Samsung manual from ~2010 says it should work with optical output from HMDI sources
- The dancing icon in Devialet app tells me there’s a signal to the Phantom.

Any ideas if this can be solved?  Huh
How to troubleshoot further, or is there a way to enter more advanced settings of the Phantoms, than through Devialet app?

Thanks! Blush

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the menu for the optical output on you TV, choose 2.0 PCM.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(18-Nov-2023, 07:48)ragwo Wrote: In the menu for the optical output on you TV, choose 2.0 PCM.

Hi. - thanks, there is only one ”option” (so no option really) in the TV audio optical output settings to select SPDIF —> PCM (i.e. not possible to specify ”2.0”, or any other version).

Do the Phantoms require 2.0?
(18-Nov-2023, 10:10)Larfa Wrote:
(18-Nov-2023, 07:48)ragwo Wrote: In the menu for the optical output on you TV, choose 2.0 PCM.

Hi. - thanks, there is only one ”option” (so no option really) in the TV audio optical output settings to select SPDIF —> PCM (not ”2.0” or other version).

Do the Phantoms require 2.0?
The Phantom requires a stereo signal, it can't handle 5.1. Is it possible to downmix the signal in the PS4 and Apple TV?

You can bypass the problem if you use AirPlay from the Apple TV.
My Phantom Voyage
But PCM (that’s set on the TV) is stereo, right?
And as you suggest, I’ve set stereo audio output on the Apple TV too…
So I don’t think my TV is sending out 5.1 to the Phantoms.

Yes as you say the fallback is to use Airplay from Apple TV, that works, but then the audio won’t switch to PS4 when switching to PS4 input on the TV… it’s just more hassle… :-)
PCM can be 5.1 if I remember correctly. There are HDMI to spdif audio extractors with the ability to choose between 2.0 and 5.1. I believe they're quite cheap on eBay or similar. Could be worth a try.
My Phantom Voyage