Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Understand Phantom
Sorry if this turns out to be a stupid question, but I'm trying to understand a Phantom setup.

For a setup that includes a pair of Phantom units and the Dialog box (Phantom Duo combo), can any sources like a turntable/phono stage and CD player be hooked up to it or is it just for streaming? Also, when it comes to streaming, does it only stream from a NAS/computer or can you connect a digital streamer/player to it?
(23-Sep-2015, 12:06)samurai7595 Wrote: Sorry if this turns out to be a stupid question, but I'm trying to understand a Phantom setup.

For a setup that includes a pair of Phantom units and the Dialog box (Phantom Duo combo), can any sources like a turntable/phono stage and CD player be hooked up to it or is it just for streaming?  Also, when it comes to streaming, does it only stream from a NAS/computer or can you connect a digital streamer/player to it?
---------------------------------------------------

Hi - not stupid at all I had the same thoughts before buying

The speakers and dialogue only accept optical sound, or wifi / bluetooth

So for example I have my turntable and TV plugged into the Dialogue (via an optical switcher)

You then have a source button the App - to choose music from the device you are using like an iPhone, or from a service like tidal.....or from The dialogue with whatever you have plugged into it at the time

you can also plug directly into a phantom via optical - though I haven't needed to because of the switcher I bought to allow multiple optical into the Dialogue itself

Hope it helps for a starter? Smile
Each Phantom has 1 optical input and Dialog also has 1 optical input.
So, for a stereo system, one can connect up to 3 different optical sources.
One can also access a NAS or computer via wifi or LAN.
Recent Phantoms also have Bluetooth.
You can switch between the inputs via the app (Spark).
(23-Sep-2015, 14:41)michirishi Wrote: Each Phantom has 1 optical input and Dialog also has 1 optical input.

More if you use a simple little optical switcher 

I have 3 things going into the dialogue 

Then also no need for long optical cables trailing to the Phantoms
(23-Sep-2015, 15:13)Jamington2004 Wrote:
(23-Sep-2015, 14:41)michirishi Wrote: Each Phantom has 1 optical input and Dialog also has 1 optical input.

More if you use a simple little optical switcher 

I have 3 things going into the dialogue 

Then also no need for long optical cables trailing to the Phantoms

Which optical switcher are you using?
This one right here Smile
http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-optica...ource.html

You can get them with remotes - but I just literally stuck it to the inside wall of my hifi cupboard - and simply open cupboard and turn to the input desired 

Simples Smile

You can also set the optical source to automatically play when sound is detected 

Useful as long as everyone has the app on their phone, which my wife didn't when she turned the telly on the other day!! Luckily I hadn't left it too loud
You have 3 toslinks available with a pair of phantoms and a dialog no need for optical switch if this is sufficient connectivity for you; then select via spark; for vinyl Pro-Ject Essential II Digital + Ortofon OM5e - /€379 has a D-A and a RIAA phono stage built in to toslink output but it maxed out @ 92-24...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For CD u need toslink out or your player to carry audio over HDMI then u can break out to toslink from there, for SACD prob no good carrying native DSD over HDMI as the DAC in phantom can't handle it your player will need to transcode the DSD stream to PCM first then break it out again from the HDMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk