Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Amp Simulation
I think if Devialet would deploy a kind of SAM for amplifier voicing where instead of choice speaker you choice different amplifier profiles that Devialet could had measured and make a sound curve simulation to mimic the sound of the choiced amplifiers. Im really sure this would start a huge interest for the expert range again and would lead to new improved sales!

Many hardcore hifi freaks loves to tweak and that's the argument I get when talking with some of them about the Devialet expert, that they fear they could not do so many tweaks if they would own a Devialet!

I would really loved to had a room correction! Devialet could make a plugin for Dirac import where one measures the room in Dirac and store the measurement and then just import the measurement file from Dirac to Devialet. This would make that the potential errors would not be Devialets headache instead it would be Diracs! And Devialet could sell the import from Dirac as a plugin!
Devialet 1000 PRO CI, Franco Serblin Ktema. Power Distribution Purist Audio Design AC Extension LE, Purist Audio Neptune speaker cable, Purist Audio Neptune Diamond power cable to Devialet, Purist Audio Aquila Digital Power Cord to Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Purist Audio Dominus digital For link between Devialet 1000 PRO. Purist Audio CAT 7, AVID - Sequel SP with SME 309 and Soundsmith - The Voice, IsoAcoustics Gaia II , Innuos Statement, Innuos PhoenixNET, Router with Ferrum Hypsos PSU.
Your Dirac idea is good. Dirac already has relationships with hardware companies; MiniDSP is one example. However this would leave out thousands of people using Acourate and Audiolense (and other similar RC products). It does not seem like a good idea to force users to purchase new licenses to be able to use RC with the Expert amps. Standard non-proprietary convolution should be preferred.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I have posted on this topic in the past, so some of this is repeated but it is on topic here.

First to say I would love to have something like a "Tube amp simulation". 

In the past I had an Expert 240 / 250, then progressed to the 800, now I have a 1000 Pro.  For me, the Pro is by far the better amplifier, with the key area it is superior to the Expert being detail extraction, to my ears it is "higher resolution" when compared to the Expert.  But it is not that simple, in some respects I think the Pro is less "forgiving" than the Expert.  To put it another way, I can think of some tracks / albums that I could play and simply enjoy with the old Expert, which now seem to include some minor irritations with the Pro.  This gives a curious situation, where in these cases the Pro is less enjoyable to listen to than the old Expert.  Feed the Pro a decent recording, the situation reverses, the Pro is the better machine.

So why not have some kind of "tube" simulation?  Or maybe some other options, a range of house curves, addition of harmonics, or similar.  So, when playing a decent recording, just run the amplifier in it's standard mode, but when stumbling across a recording that sounds a bit bright, thin or harsh, maybe have a tube or "Harmon Curve" option, or similar. 

Going back to my original comment that the Pro is "higher resolution".  There is no way of making the Expert "higher resolution", but you could conceivably have some kind of mode that revers the Pro to being more like the more "forgiving" Expert.

OK - I know that some people will not like this kind of stuff.  That is fair enough, but it would be simple enough to ignore it.

I do agree with @Jean-Marie , that something like Room correction could cause problems, and indeed costs, in terms of support.  As others have suggested, Devialet do not need to provide the actual room correction software, just a means by which to include convolution filters, or similar.  Let owners outsource the software, as required.  I don't think there is much risk of this damaging the amplifier either, Devialet's ADH will already "soft clip" any inputs that exceed the maximum required limit.  In terms of cost to Devialet there is also a flip side here, if the Devialet can increase it's feature set and versatility, this improves "showroom appeal" for the Devialet, thus leading to increased sales.

In terms of a "tube mode", a selection of house curves, or anything else, all we need is a fixed method of implementing some kind of plugin.  That is all Devialet need to provide, the plugins themselves, or convolutions, or whatever, could come from third parties. 

Why not?

Also, in terms of what Devialet are still offering on their website:

Expert Pro systems are fitted with our EVO platform, a truly unique electronic architecture designed to help you stay on top of your game with regular software updates. Receive the latest free features and upgrades. First-class performance. Always.

Let's fight programmed obsolescence.

Expert Pro systems are engineered to remain at the forefront of technology. Today and always.

EVO electronic architecture is driven by permanently upgradable software.

And as part of the Core Infinity offering:

- A second audio DSP (Digital Signal Processor) providing additional headroom on top of the DSP already included in the mother board so as to support future signal processing features.
- 3 ASRC (Asynchronous Sample Rate Converters) to leave ample room for future developments, and in particular compatibility with additional sources.

Why not use it!

EDIT:

I have just remembered this:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Home-Aud...oom-Shaper

Some means to add the convolution filters for "Room shaper" to a Devialet, could be a game changer!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The subject of tube sound in Expert amps was discussed here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-This-is-...?pid=50025 Maybe 3% distortion is a little too much, but the sound of tubes would be very helpful on some less well recorded albums. Also, convolver in DSP has been discussed earlier in this thread from 2014 (and later in many other threads): https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Convolver-in-the-DSP Thierry in this thread is Devialet's Thierry Massoubre, not Thierry from Home Audio Fidelity Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Dec-2019, 14:06)Confused Wrote: ... So why not have some kind of "tube" simulation?  Or maybe some other options, a range of house curves, addition of harmonics, or similar.  So, when playing a decent recording, just run the amplifier in it's standard mode, but when stumbling across a recording that sounds a bit bright, thin or harsh, maybe have a tube or "Harmon Curve" option, or similar. 
I love that idea. Vintage Marantz solid state receivers have a bit of a rep for having a 'three-martini' sound. I have encountered recordings where I wish I had one or two martinis under my hood for more palatable listening!

Makes perfect sense to leverage the Pro's CI board to build this. Similar to RAM technology on the phono implementation.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e