Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Phonostage Recommendations?
Hi All,

We're all familiar with the sonic deficiencies of the Devialet phonostage with low output MC cartridges. I have a LP12 with an Ortofon Windfeld Ti and while I am currently using a SUT, I'm flirting with getting a tube phonostage. I've seen some very good write-ups on the Allnic H-1202 but I'd be interested in what your recommendations and experiences are with tube phonostages. 

Thanks and looking forward to everyones' input!
I have ortofon cadenza Black , vith a SUT verto from ortofon, What kind of SUT you use.? I have absolut silence from my speakers no hiss, i am thinking bye a ney caridge but i Don,t know if i vill bye a phonostage , or a better SUT. Why Are you thinking. Phonostage , And Why tube ? I look forward too hear about What you find out , Steve.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(19-Aug-2019, 20:28)Finn Wrote: I have ortofon cadenza Black , vith a SUT verto from ortofon, What kind of SUT you use.? I have absolut silence from my speakers no hiss, i am thinking bye a ney caridge  but i Don,t know if i vill bye a phonostage , or a better SUT. Why Are you  thinking. Phonostage , And Why tube ? I look forward too hear about What you find out , Steve.
I have the Ortofon ST-80 SE, which is great, and I also don't hear anything with normal listening volumes, but it does exist if you go to higher volumes. As far as why a phonostage, it's my understanding that it will be much quieter. As for tubes, I've always had a romance for tubes and the phonostage is really the only component where I would be able to get them. Apparently the Allnic pairs well with the LP12, but I'd love to hear about others.
(19-Aug-2019, 19:52)Dev_Steve Wrote: Hi All,

We're all familiar with the sonic deficiencies of the Devialet phonostage with low output MC cartridges. I have a LP12 with an Ortofon Windfeld Ti and while I am currently using a SUT, I'm flirting with getting a tube phonostage. I've seen some very good write-ups on the Allnic H-1202 but I'd be interested in what your recommendations and experiences are with tube phonostages. 

I use a hybrid phono stage which is totally satisfying. I’ve got no reason to look at anything else as this stage is totally revealing yet neutral in presentation.

http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/mcj3...ono-stage/

Seriously, you’ll not go wrong with a Nick Gorham designed piece of kit.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(20-Aug-2019, 00:14)Greg Wrote:

I use a hybrid phono stage which is totally satisfying. I’ve got no reason to look at anything else as this stage is totally revealing yet neutral in presentation.

Do you find that the use of the separate phonostage results in better sound than what’s in the Expert Pro?
I actually get this I think.  What I mean is that I can see the appeal of having a super accurate and revealing digital system (some might say clinical) combined with a nice warm and euphonic vinyl rig.  It would be a bit like having two different systems available, and which you listen to might depend on the mood and music.  I can see that a valve phono stage with a touch of harmonic distortion might make a pleasant change and contrast from time to time.  Although the Longdog item posted above might be a bit too accurate for what I have in mind.  Sacrilege, I know!  (It does like like a very nice bit of kit though)

I bumped into Nick Gorham at a hifi show once, he seamed to be quite a character, a bit like an audiophile Father Christmas. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Aug-2019, 17:42)Dev_Steve Wrote:
(20-Aug-2019, 00:14)Greg Wrote:

Do you find that the use of the separate phonostage results in better sound than what’s in the Expert Pro?
Yes, indeed. External stages of all types offer reduced phono hiss (compared to the Devialet stage) when using a low output MC cartridge, but many phono stages out there are a bit soft and do not have the dynamics of the built in Devialet stage. My last stage was a Primare R32 (retail £950). A lovely piece of kit that was low on hiss but a bit soft compared to the Devialet. In contrast, the Longdog Audio option has all the dynamics, revealing micro detail and subtle sounds but no hiss. The valve based output stage is not worth commenting on because there is no ability to detect any softening of the sound. It just sounds right and makes me want to listen to my LP’s more readily than my streamed service from Qobuz. At £1400, the Longdog is an absolute bargain. I’ve heard poorer performance from phono stages costing many multiples more.

I’ve known Nick Gorham for many years. As @Confused has said, he has an appearance of Father Christmas because of his long silver hair, but he knows his electronics and in my view is probably at the cutting edge of current hi-fi development. He is straight as a die and will never fleece you. One of the really honest guys. I trust him completely as his ears are as good as his electronic knowledge. Anyway, until Mathieu Pernot sorts out the noise from the Devialet, I’ll stick with the best phonostage money can buy.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
You all now have me very curious about Longdog, but I'm imagining it might be a little difficult to do an audition in California! I'll ask my dealer about it though. Definitely worth putting on my list. I am also a sucker for industrial design (what Devialet owner isn't?) and the look of the Allnic H-1202 is really intriguing. I do wonder if it sounds as good as it looks.
(24-Aug-2019, 17:10)Dev_Steve Wrote: You all now have me very curious about Longdog, but I'm imagining it might be a little difficult to do an audition in California! I'll ask my dealer about it though. Definitely worth putting on my list. I am also a sucker for industrial design (what Devialet owner isn't?) and the look of the Allnic H-1202 is really intriguing. I do wonder if it sounds as good as it looks.
Steve,

Contact Nick Gorham directly through the LDA website and ask if he can accommodate you. He is one, of the more helpful guys. Although such an international request might naturally be considered difficult, I recommend you present to him the option, because I have every trust that if he can find a way to help you out, he will. Don’t be shy and make contact. Nick Gorham is one of the most easily accepting and approachable people out there.
Picking up on @Greg 's comments, I found a review of the Longdog HCJ3 on Hifi Wigwam, see link below. The review is well worth reading for anyone interested. There are some important points to note with respect to cartridge matching, the HCJ3 is focused on the use with low output MC's, rather than total flexibility. That said, the review could hardly more positive with respect to sound quality, so it looks to me like this more focused aspect of the design could well be related to ultimate performance for the price. This point is clearly made in the review.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/13309...nt-2377467
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12