Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Phonostage Recommendations?
(26-Aug-2019, 10:02)Confused Wrote: Picking up on @Greg 's comments, I found a review of the Longdog HCJ3 on Hifi Wigwam, see link below.  The review is well worth reading for anyone interested.  There are some important points to note with respect to cartridge matching, the HCJ3 is focused on the use with low output MC's, rather than total flexibility.  That said, the review could hardly more positive with respect to sound quality, so it looks to me like this more focused aspect of the design could well be related to ultimate performance for the price.  This point is clearly made in the review.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/13309...nt-2377467
Yes, a very good review and well worth reading. It is worth noting that this review is now out of date as Nick has refined his design of the MCJ3 and the current model, which I have, is even better!
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
I reached out to Nick and he has indeed been really helpful. I don't really have a way to audition the HCJ3 being on the West Coast of the US, but I'm definitely going to keep it in mind, especially given that I do have a low output MC.
I had an Art Audio Silver Reference MM/MC phono stage. An extremely good tube unit that was also pretty expensive. I consider the Devialet internal phono stage to be just as good.

On the one occasion that I spoke to Mathieu Pernot at length, he got quite excited about the phono stage, how much effort went into it and how good it is. I agree.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
Ssfas . Can you explain the Sound Quality/ difference between your art sound silver phonostage, and devialet phonostage, i am spekulaten to bye a seperart phonostage , and that Why it could be Nice ,too hear the different, betveen Those too .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,