Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable good enough?
I have spent the past week listening to a lot of vinyl (which is a change for me) and I have concluded that my previous reservations about the Radius deck were unfounded. I now believe that both the "thin" sound and the perceived speed fluctuations were largely down to the Corus cartridge. I am guessing that the Geiger 11 line stylus on the Corus was not ideal when playing warped or off centre records, of which I have many. Using a different MC cartridge (with simple elliptical stylus) has improved both of these aspects enormously. So I am in love with vinyl again! I have also tried an Audio Technica AT-F3 cartridge which sounds excellent.
The pulsing sound was eliminated by cancelling the WiFi signal. There is slightly more hiss than I recall with a MM cartridge, but not enough to worry me.
Back to my original question though. Is the Radius deck good enough for the rest of my system? I think  the only answer is to audition some alternatives in the new year. In the meantime I can enjoy my old Frank and Dino LP's over Xmas!
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
Well I did listen to a few decks over the past few months and finally went for a Project Xtension 10. The sound is the polar opposite from the Roksan: utterly stable speed, dark background, fine detail and huge bass. Not a fair comparison in all respects I know because the Ortofon is a vastly better cartridge than I was using before. I have been fiddling around with the loading and output settings on the D200 which is very easy. I do not totally agree with the Devialet default settings for the Ortofon.

In answer to my original question, I think you could probably use a very esoteric deck and cartridge with the D200, certainly the Xtension is now bettering all the other digital inputs I can muster.
(12-Feb-2016, 21:05)Harry. Wrote: Well I did listen to a few decks over the past few months and finally went for a Project Xtension 10. The sound is the polar opposite from the Roksan: utterly stable speed, dark background, fine detail and huge bass. Not a fair comparison in all respects I know because the Ortofon is a vastly better cartridge than I was using before. I have been fiddling around with the loading and output settings on the D200 which is very easy. I do not totally agree with the Devialet default settings for the Ortofon.

In answer to my original question, I think you could probably use a very esoteric deck and cartridge with the D200, certainly the Xtension is now bettering all the other digital inputs I can muster.

Welcome to the Pro-ject - Cadenza - Devialet club!  I have certainly had many hours of fun with my similar combo.  Enjoy!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(12-Feb-2016, 21:36)Confused Wrote:
(12-Feb-2016, 21:05)Harry. Wrote: Well I did listen to a few decks over the past few months and finally went for a Project Xtension 10. The sound is the polar opposite from the Roksan: utterly stable speed, dark background, fine detail and huge bass. Not a fair comparison in all respects I know because the Ortofon is a vastly better cartridge than I was using before. I have been fiddling around with the loading and output settings on the D200 which is very easy. I do not totally agree with the Devialet default settings for the Ortofon.

Welcome to the Pro-ject - Cadenza - Devialet club!  I have certainly had many hours of fun with my similar combo.  Enjoy!

Thanks Confused. I am certainly enjoying hearing some LP's I bought in the 70's and 80's in vastly improved sound. I think I may even give my early Motown singles a go at the weekend!
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.