Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak WiFi Antenna on D200
Remote uses Zigbee protocol at 2.4GHz.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
WifI antenna is the gold "E" PCB trace.

[Image: Devialet-carte.jpg]
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
And what do you think the odds 'might' be that those 2.4GHz signals are received at an entirely different & isolated physical location than say an incoming UHF signal?
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(30-Aug-2015, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: Remote uses Zigbee protocol at 2.4GHz.

OK, I stand corrected, thanks Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Me too! I thought remote was UHF. So now if we can assume wifi and remote are virtually one and the same why is it again a simple small gauge wire trace coupled to that "E" with a 'tack' of solder and ran outside the enclosure couldn't/wouldn't necessarily extend and/or potentially improve both remote functionality and wifi reception? Warranty issues not withstanding I understand why you guys might not want to attempt it but tell me again how or why it wouldn't likely benefit someone like me if I decided to dabble with wireless Air.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Well, it seems a big step from operating at the same frequency to being "virtually one and the same". By all means try the experiment of course.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
well virtually the same 2.4GHz tho I would guess protocols to be different. Its certainly close enough to attempt and innocuous enough to risk with minimal threat. I don't care if it fails... just don't wanna risk wide-sweeping collateral damage. And something good might come from it. Added to the list some time after confirming I have a working 200 when re-asembled.
(30-Aug-2015, 14:25)Manoet Wrote: But here's the rub... even with a dramatically improved wifi antenna I suspect all the EMI/RFI in the box is going to negatively influence everything incoming before it gets to the speakers... it still won't be pretty SQ.

Given all the various digital components and power supplies integrated & consolidated into the Devialet, I was curious about the levels of EMI/RMI as well.  I wonder if some liberal use of the 3M ABS5100S EMI/RFI shielding paper would prove beneficial.  Roughly a year ago there were a few threads at Computer Audiophile and JPlay around the SQ benefits of EMI/RFI shielding and a group buy for a discount.  RAM modules were one of the parts identified as radiating a lot of noise.

This Trifield meter ($150) was suggested as tool to determine the hot spots of potential problems.
https://www.trifield.com/content/trifield-meter/  Detects the three types of electromagnetic pollution: AC magnetic fields, AC electric fields, and radio/microwaves3
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
No one's more surprised we can get the SQ we do from the design we've been dealt than me! It simply should not be anywhere near as good as it is! But for the life of me I can't see how I could supplant any shielding without at this point sacrificing the convection air flow path I've designed into the case. At some point I just have to let things go and be convinced I've done the best I can do without transplanting the Devialet's internals into a custom-made enclosure which would be the logical next step. For now tho I just need to get all this stuff to the anodizer and call it a day on modifications. As things exist today I'm going for anodizing bright & early Wednesday morning then I can drag my feet if necessary almost all of September before RMAF on reassembly final touch-up tweaks and auditioning.
Hi Manoet,

Take a look at this photo, post #6, by Phil of AudiophileOptimizer.

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/1...ou-did-it/

I don't imagine the shielding paper would sacrifice any cooling airflow unless the part normally has the blue thermal pads applied. I'm thinking of application locations of processor chips, memory ram or even partitioning off areas (maybe along the power supply clam shell case?) Seems like a target rich environment and if we can keep some of the EMI/RFI from emitting and scattering around inside the chassis compounding the potential noise, all the better. Just noodling around some concept ideas.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.