Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweaking for D400
Hi, I see that the forum is very quiet, probably most users have given up and try other things, or they are all so satisfied that no further problem is encountered. Either way, I thought it would be interesting to share some tweaks I performed on D400, hopefully useful to some of you :

1) Devialet is very sensitive to quality of the input. A Digital to Digital Convertor (DDC) benefits a lot in making the soundstage a lot more holographic. I use my Windows PC to output USB to DDC and then from DDC to D400 via AES.

2) The AES/XLR input of Devialet does not like the grounding pin 1 connected. Buy a ground lifting AES/XLR convertor, leaving the Pin 1 disconnected. This trick works on both AES input and the inter-connection between D400. Lifting the Pin 1 result in a lot more open soundstage.

3) Since my DDC is capable of taking in 10MHz external clock, I tried connecting it to a 10Mhz external clock. The overall sound is a lot more detailed and soundstage layering is also a lot better. Music instruments' harmonics sound much better. I think clock signal gets passed through to the Devialet via AES input, so even though there is no way to connect the clock direct to Devialet, a clock still significantly upgrades the digital signal quality.

4) Devialet amp is generally a very transparent amplifier with good air and treble extension, details are never the problem of Devialet amps. When cable matching, pay attention to use more full sounding cables with some 'taste', otherwise the Devialet could sound very detailed but thin and boring. Using more components (e.g. DDC and clock and PC streamer in my case) has an advantage in that one can tweak the sound with the cables of the components, otherwise it is less easy to tweak if there is only one streamer in front.

For info, I am using Devialet D400 and Focal Kanta 2. The combo projects a very airy and wide soundstage with sweet sounding vocals. The only upgrade I am planning is adding a pair of good subwoofers, that would help to deepen the soundstage and improve layering besides adding the bottom end.

Another question probably comes to mind of a lot of old users, is the DAC on the old D400 still keeping up with the new DACs? From what I hear, with the addition of a clock, the details and musicality of the D400 DAC can still keep up with today's DAC. I go around and listen to a lot of systems, I would not consider my system now to lack details or musicality compared to something like T+A DAC 200, and I actually like my system's sound more than Esoteric or dCS DACs.
good idea to start collecting tips & tricks
I also had a Roon PC connected via USB to an Audio-GD DI20HE with a Mutec Ref10. But I found a better and much cheaper option.
I'm not using USB at all, I use an ifi Zen Stream which is connected to my PC via optical LAN (Sonore OM, Cisico switch with OCXO clock). The trick is to connect the ifi Zen to the Devialet via ifi SPDIF iPurifier 2 and a good Toslink cable. I use the Wireworld Supernova 7. This is the best digital sound I ever had.

One software trick: Instead of directly driving the Zen from Roon I use squeeze2upnp. This can be installed on the same PC as Roon and sounds better than RAAT for me. The ifi Zen can do both, RAAT and uPnP.
I use a DDC (denafrips gaia) with great results - AES input. Together with a low power computer running volumio and a linear psu (Farad).
Tried lifting AES/XLR convertor, but didn´t notice much difference.
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
(04-May-2023, 11:17)Vivialet Wrote: good idea to start collecting tips & tricks
I also had a Roon PC connected via USB to an Audio-GD DI20HE with a Mutec Ref10. But I found a better and much cheaper option.
I'm not using USB at all, I use an ifi Zen Stream which is connected to my PC via optical LAN (Sonore OM, Cisico switch with OCXO clock). The trick is to connect the ifi Zen to the Devialet via ifi SPDIF iPurifier 2 and a good Toslink cable. I use the Wireworld Supernova 7. This is the best digital sound I ever had.

One software trick: Instead of directly driving the Zen from Roon I use squeeze2upnp. This can be installed on the same PC as Roon and sounds better than RAAT for me. The ifi Zen can do both, RAAT and uPnP.

Interesting, you mean using Zen Stream via optical to Devialet sounds better than DDC with Clock? But did you use opitical LAN when you just use DDC with Clock? The optical LAN used on PC should theoretically already provide some improvement.

I am not using Roon, I found using Roon gives less resolution unless you do a lot of other tweaks with PC running Roon, like what you did.

I am just using PC, with a SSD in PC storing the songs. I play via Foobar2000, but does not play it directly. I share the files on PC using Windows file sharing, and then I use an Android phone running BubbleuPNP to access the files and play via uPNP. I installed uPNP plugin on Foobar2000. I found the sound a lot more analog sounding this way, playing files direct on Foobar2000 sounds digital. Another trick in Windows PC is use Fidelizer, this is good stuff on Windows.

Also, I installed another program called Audiophile Renderer, which is a uPNP renderer running under Windows. For reason I cannot explain, letting Audiophile Renderer running all the time in the background makes the sound better, the harmonics are better.

And one last tweak for those using notebooks like me, buy a LPS for the noteboook. The soundstage is a lot more stable with a LPS.
The Audio-GD DDC only supports USB or SPDIF inputs. I tried it directly connected to my PC via USB (NUC with LPS) and also with the ifi Zen via USB (the Zen is connected to the PC via optical LAN).
With the Zen in the chain it sounds better and the Zen without DDC but with the SPDIF iPurifier and Toslink sounds better to me. I think USB is not giving the best SQ, even with good quality USB cables.
Roon has improved the SQ in the last year or so, there is not much difference to foobar or jRiver or even Audirvana. But Roon has the best UI and also supports convolution which I'm using.
The integration of Qobuz is also working perfectly.