Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweeter color/type
Hi,

Devialet says that Phantom's tweeter is a metallic one. Now what I find curious, is that on the images in their website the tweeter in some photos has a metallic/aluminum color (the main page one where the the Phantom is rotating), and in other photos (the discover page and in the Hi-Fi Choice magazine review) it has a white color, however, whenever I saw them live (In Munich and more recently in an audition room here in my country), the color of the tweeter is black, which is the typical look when it's a fabric membrane tweeter.

So, what is going on? Has Devialet made any change regarding the tweeter? Could you Phantom owners please take a look to yours and tell which color is it?

Thanks!
Shining a torch through the grilles on mine my guess would be black anodised aluminium.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Ok, the color matches what I always have seen when looking directly at them (black), so, why its color is white on the photos?...
As you can see on this pic it is not fabric.
Could well be aluminium and unfortunately little chance it is Beryllium
[Image: a437a0bd48836eb8e49d96406974d75b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard repeatedly that the mids and highs are not up to some better speakers but the bass is. Would indeed be great to have beryllium tweeters.
(22-Sep-2015, 02:56)MountainGuy Wrote: I have heard repeatedly that the mids and highs are not up to some better speakers but the bass is.  Would indeed be great to have beryllium tweeters.

A pair of berillium tweeters would double the retail price.
I have had Phantoms for 6 months now. The mid is good imo, the treble slightly recessed compared to some modern speakers, but that, for me is because a lot of modern speakers have uptilted balance in the tweeter.

Anodising ally produces a thin ceramic layer on the surface which considerably stiffens it in bending, to the extent that some manufacturers have given fancy names to their use of the technique Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Yes, definitely it's not beryllium, because in that case we would also have a 40kHz top instead of "only" 25kHz. Wink but that's a good thing, because when I read how toxic beryllium can be I did not feel very excited to have something made of it at home, as good as it might sounds, and as safe as they claim it to be!... Wink

I agree, the price would be too much, but they could have used some top fabric tweeters from Scanspeak for instance, and maybe raise the price just 100 Eur, and I would not mind that, because I'm not a big fan of metallic tweeters... Wink Anyway, soon I will have mine at home and then I can check for myself. Smile

But the mystery still holds, why the photos show a white tweeter? Would it be a photo paintshop job to match the white color of the exterior? Huh
(22-Sep-2015, 09:38)f1eng Wrote: Anodising ally produces a thin ceramic layer on the surface which considerably stiffens it in bending, to the extent that some manufacturers have given fancy names to their use of the technique Smile
I didn't know they do this, interesting thing to learn!... Wink so, maybe I will be happy with these metallic tweeters, then... I remember I liked the ones from the WATT, some inverted dome ones from Focal, so, not all metallic tweeters are bad... Wink
(21-Sep-2015, 18:08)Phs Wrote: As you can see on this pic it is not fabric.
Just curious, did you listen to them like that, or did you remove the grill only to show us the tweeter? If the former, does the sound improve that much to be worthy taking the risk of damaging the tweeters by accident?
I have on occasions found metal dome tweeters a little hard and 'metallic' in sound, which is why I found the PMC fabric dome tweeters a revelation. I have heard speakers with metal dome tweeters that sound fantastic for the first 15 minutes but then get a bit fatiguing on the ears. I was initially worried about the Phantom tweeter for this reason, but this was unfounded. The tweeters are very smooth and articulate without sounding brash, though some people may find them a bit reserved compared to other speakers. This is very subjective. But after many 4-5 hour listening sessions I find them very easy and rewarding to listen to.