Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two iPods - are they really necessary?
Yeah, I love the Devialet remote too with it's big smooth running wheel. It lays, within an arms reach, besides my on the couch while listening to music and the iPad is on my chest or lap (depending how much I lay back Big Grin) I've never used the app much and even can't no longer since I've disabled both WiFi and ethernet inside of the Devialet. I don't care if it wears or not (haven't noticed any wear so far) it's a 'consumer good' not a museum piece so it needs to be used! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Nov-2014, 17:02)PhilP Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 16:41)brit Wrote: No, A very sensible person! I use an old iPhone 3 to control volume using the Devialet App, and an iPad mini to control my music, using either iPengHD, or Squeeze pad (sometimes mpad), depending how the mood takes me!

David

Oh good, I'm not alone. I had heard that iOS was going to be enhanced so that mutiple apps would be visible at the same time but clearly that hasn't happened.

By the way, we're beginning to build up a decent Wilson Benesch presence on the forum - wwm has C60s, Tatomek has C60 LEs and IanG-UK has a Torus.

I do get hooked by technology and the Wilson Benesch stuff is terrific and what's more it is made in Yorkshire!

(18-Nov-2014, 21:47)banjanas Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 18:26)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 15:49)PhilP Wrote: I find it a pain to switch between the Devialet and Naim apps on my iPod plus the Naim app sometimes crashes or loses its UPnP connection when I frequently open and close it.

My solution is now to use two iPods, one for changing volume and the other for selecting and playing music. This combination works really well and the iPod is of course much lighter then the Devialet remote.

I must be very old fashioned; I simply love the tactile feel of the Devialet remote! Takes me back to the days of using my Quad 77 integrated amp with its big brick-like remote and analog dial! Cool

Guillaume

Then I must be super old-fashioned! I have a Quad 77 with the bus-powered CD77 that I use every day. The remote is a bit frayed but fully functional. I'm saving up for a Devialet 200 though, do you think it will be an upgrade? Smile

What a pity that the UK Quad disappeared. Their 77 series was ground breaking but they simply ran out of money (having never charged enough for their earlier stuff) so the magnificent 77 remote never really became fully functional as Quad made 3,500 or less of each of the 77 pre, power, tuner and CD. Let's hope the Devialet business model is better.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(19-Nov-2014, 17:17)IanG-UK Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 17:02)PhilP Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 16:41)brit Wrote: No, A very sensible person! I use an old iPhone 3 to control volume using the Devialet App, and an iPad mini to control my music, using either iPengHD, or Squeeze pad (sometimes mpad), depending how the mood takes me!

David

Oh good, I'm not alone. I had heard that iOS was going to be enhanced so that mutiple apps would be visible at the same time but clearly that hasn't happened.

By the way, we're beginning to build up a decent Wilson Benesch presence on the forum - wwm has C60s, Tatomek has C60 LEs and IanG-UK has a Torus.

I do get hooked by technology and the Wilson Benesch stuff is terrific and what's more it is made in Yorkshire!

(18-Nov-2014, 21:47)banjanas Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 18:26)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 15:49)PhilP Wrote: I find it a pain to switch between the Devialet and Naim apps on my iPod plus the Naim app sometimes crashes or loses its UPnP connection when I frequently open and close it.

My solution is now to use two iPods, one for changing volume and the other for selecting and playing music. This combination works really well and the iPod is of course much lighter then the Devialet remote.

I must be very old fashioned; I simply love the tactile feel of the Devialet remote! Takes me back to the days of using my Quad 77 integrated amp with its big brick-like remote and analog dial! Cool

Guillaume

Then I must be super old-fashioned! I have a Quad 77 with the bus-powered CD77 that I use every day. The remote is a bit frayed but fully functional. I'm saving up for a Devialet 200 though, do you think it will be an upgrade? Smile

What a pity that the UK Quad disappeared. Their 77 series was ground breaking but they simply ran out of money (having never charged enough for their earlier stuff) so the magnificent 77 remote never really became fully functional as Quad made 3,500 or less of each of the 77 pre, power, tuner and CD. Let's hope the Devialet business model is better.

The Quad 77 integrated and CD player was my first proper Hi-fi! I had them with a pair of piano black Sonus Faber Concertinos. Can't tell you how much pleasure they gave me. And yes the remote was superb!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Completely off topic but what a pity Quad disappeared - at least in terms of their UK innovation. Devialet seems to have many of the philosophies that Quad had (including that slightly frustrating one of giving customers what they need rather than what they want!)
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Back on topic, I think the correct way of doing things is an iPad for track selection, an iPhone for checking the volume setting (I can't see the amps display from the sofa) together with the Devialet remote to actually adjust the volume.

I have to agree with many others who criticise the iPhone app's lack of functionality, why can't it show stuff like SAM on / off or other stuff you can get on the amps own display?

I also could not agree more that it would be be splendid if an iPad could run two apps together, giving track selection and Devialet remote in one. They are sticking high powered quad core processors in mobile phones these days, I would have thought this level of multitasking should be easy?
@confused: still wait till 2015