Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP streaming hints
Lightbulb 
Couple of hints for those who use UPnP streaming...

Force a LAN connection to 100 Mbit on the LAN port on which Devialet is connected (router or managed switch), since for some reason Devialet does not like the Gbit network. Mostly people here have complained about Roon and hi-res files, but it definitely applies also to UPnP.

On Gbit network occasionally (sometimes even couple of times in just one hour of listening) there are some pretty annoying "glitches" - 5-6 seconds pause from time to time, some "cracking" noises and similar - usually on the beginning of the track.

Since I'm forcing 100 Mbit connection (about a month so far) on my ASUS RT-AC66U B1 router, everything works just perfect - not even one "glitch".

Also, whoever uses Tidal and/or Qobuz via UPnP (with e.g. BubbleUPnP Android app) in order to have working functionality to rewind/jump in tracks, FFmpeg decoding for all audio formats needs to be forced for Devialet renderer.  For some reason Devialet has a problem (bug) with FLAC streaming - from Tidal, Qobuz and also from local server. This, of course, means that the mobile phone is doing the transcoding. However, I did not notice any negative effects on the sound quality with the Xiaomi Mi 9 mobile phone. For local server I use FLAC transcoding on server.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Unfortunately, the UPnP implementation on the Devialet Expert Pro is currently an unmitigated disaster. If you want to use UPnP, it's best to not buy this device. Here are the two most crippling issues:

At least when streaming from a Linux-based UPnP server, one notices periodic 6-12s interruptions in the musical rendering (complete silence). This is actually a bug in the Devialet firmware. I've posted details about the bug and a workaround here: https://twitter.com/danteodosiu/status/1...3036314624. You typically won't be able to apply this fix unless you have a homemade UPnP server I'm afraid.

Gapless play is not supported. This is *not* because, as Devialet claims, the UPnP protocol is not well defined. It's because they use an ancient version of UPnP renderer software Rygel that doesn't have the gapless support implemented yet. Funnily, Rygel has supported gapless playback for about 9 years now. Details here: https://twitter.com/danteodosiu/status/1...8301847559.

I've been going back and forth over these issues with Devialet support for the last 5 months, since I bought an Expert Pro 140. I'm not sure they even understand the issues, or that Devialet even has an engineering team actively supporting the Expert Pro.
I use it every day for at least 2-3 hours without any issues..

It doesnt support gapless, but with the latest BubbleUPnP the gap is pretty minor - probably less than 300-400 ms. It's good enough for me.

With both foobar2000 and MinimServer UPnP server on Windows 10 it works perfectly with more than 4 TB of music. I haven't restarted NUC from September - when Windows was updated. FLAC to WAV/PCM coversion is done on server. No issues at all + excellent sound quality.

I had experience with several streamers and all of them have some issues / bugs.

Have you tried to limit LAN connection to 100 Mbit?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Hello,
Does someone use Daphile on a server with de Devialet endpoint ?
If it's the case could you please give me the parameters you use for the upnp gateway.

I have 2 endpoints, a Engineered Ered Dock and the CI card of Devialet Expert Pro, I've only manage to make the Devialet work once for a few seconds !

I have configured Gapless on No and my switch is configured to 100Mbit/s

Thank you for your help
(05-Feb-2022, 18:26)dtdt Wrote: Unfortunately, the UPnP implementation on the Devialet Expert Pro is currently an unmitigated disaster. If you want to use UPnP, it's best to not buy this device. Here are the two most crippling issues:

At least when streaming from a Linux-based UPnP server, one notices periodic 6-12s interruptions in the musical rendering (complete silence). This is actually a bug in the Devialet firmware. I've posted details about the bug and a workaround here: https://twitter.com/danteodosiu/status/1...3036314624. You typically won't be able to apply this fix unless you have a homemade UPnP server I'm afraid.

Gapless play is not supported. This is *not* because, as Devialet claims, the UPnP protocol is not well defined. It's because they use an ancient version of UPnP renderer software Rygel that doesn't have the gapless support implemented yet. Funnily, Rygel has supported gapless playback for about 9 years now. Details here: https://twitter.com/danteodosiu/status/1...8301847559.

I've been going back and forth over these issues with Devialet support for the last 5 months, since I bought an Expert Pro 140. I'm not sure they even understand the issues, or that Devialet even has an engineering team actively supporting the Expert Pro.

Forget about the streamer implementation on Expert Pro series. It's awful as you say!!. Just use another up-to-date streamer whose OS and plugins are optimized and which has very low jitter on AES/EBU output. 

Instead of using a single streamer(single node) connected to Devialet, I highly advise you to use 2 separate nodes to get a better experience. In this case, one of the nodes is the player-server, for example Euphony server running Stylus OS(Tidal, Qobuz, NAS etc are supported); the other one is the MPD/UpMpdCli end point(I use Mercury streamer running Gentooplayer on it). 

The endpoint in this case is connected to Devialet by using digital AES input. In either case, you'll not have any dependency to Devialet software upgrades, streamer implementation etc. As your streamer software is upgraded regularly, you'll always get the best if your streamer hardware is also good.
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2