Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB, WIFI or Ethernet?
I have used AIR Wifi (for me better than Ethernet) for a long time, USB was always a little bit inferior to AIR. Now with Win10 this has changed, now I prefer USB. If you additionally optimize the PC for USB (jplay, Fidelizer, ProcessLasso) and a good cable (I'm using an Aqvox) USB is far superior to AIR. And I don't think that AES/EBU will be better, I think it will be worse.
But for a quick test you can download Fidelizer and ProsessLasso and a demo of jplay and try it with a standard USB cable. You can even start with plain USB from jriver which is already better than AIR in my case.
Additionally USB gives you a more stable connection without white noise issues and a faster response time. Before you make any decision make sure you have configured jplay correctly for best performance with USB.
Wifi never worked reliably for me. I used to run USB (AQ Diamond, iFi USB Power, Audirvana) but after trying the fiber optic convertor tweak moved over to Ethernet. It finally sounds perfect to me with the ease of a laptop on wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
I would have thought the source itself and the quality of its respective outputs would be a large factor. Devialet did claim in the past that AES/EBU was best for external sources. In theory AIR ought to be the optimum but I've never been that satisified with sound quality from AIR. I've used AES & SPDIF from the same source (a Moon MiND 180) and found AES very slightly better - a tiny bit sharper. My recent sources have all been USB and I haven't been dissatisified with any of them.
(25-Aug-2015, 06:08)hk6230 Wrote:
(25-Aug-2015, 04:56)miro Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 18:18)AllenB Wrote: Get an Uptone Regen for the USB connection. It really is quite remarkable.
There is also this product that is highly recommended:
http://schiit.com/products/wyrd
I believe this is also being tested by Michael at Audiostream.com. If I read his comments correctly, he will prefer AQ Jitterbug over Wyrd.

Quote:In my systems and to my ears, the UpTone Audio REGEN is the device to buy. The improvements offered were greater than the JitterBug and the Wyrd. I found that the REGEN added weight, clarity, and ease to the presentation to a greater degree than the others. For me, this is simply the way it is. No ifs, ands or buts.

Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-a...3MtWQoW.99
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Out of toslink, coax and AES/EBU, the latter is often named best (it's a balanced input). These three can't directly be compared to ethernet/WiFi AIR and USB IMO. It's apples and pears or better said: no simple generalizations can be made here.

It mostly depends on the quality of implementation of the source itself but performance is also influenced by the particular system environment (things like grounding/noise etc.)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I still have an Audiophilleo USB to SPDIF converter, but this is the worst option for the Devialet. USB is involved as well but SPDIF is somehow killing the SQ. AES/EBU is the best option to connect a CD-Transport, but for an audio PC I think USB is the best option.
As I said, USB is already much better than AIR now, and there are still some possible tweaks that I have not tried yet...
USB currently is my no.1 input as well. Certainly better than AIR (WiFi or Ethernet). It did need some tweaking first though, which I happily did. I'm almost at the stage where I start looking at removing some tweaks as since I introduced the Regen I feel there's some redundancy in my USB output chain.

The Netherlands
I have just ordered an Audioquest Jitterbug. The Regen does not fit under the Devialet's cover which would seriously destroy the looks of my installation...
(25-Aug-2015, 06:08)hk6230 Wrote:
(25-Aug-2015, 04:56)miro Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 18:18)AllenB Wrote: Get an Uptone Regen for the USB connection. It really is quite remarkable.

There is also this product that is highly recommended:

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

I believe this is also being tested by Michael at Audiostream.com. If I read his comments correctly, he will prefer AQ Jitterbug over Wyrd.

But supposedly the guy who invented the AQ Jitterbug prefers the Wyrd (I read this on some forum).
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(24-Aug-2015, 14:13)teddlesdee Wrote: If you guys had this config, what would you consider the optimal connective configuration would be?

[...two pages later...]

You weren't expecting a simple answer, were you!?  Angel
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK