Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB cable guidance
(11-Oct-2015, 07:55)Womaz Wrote:
(11-Oct-2015, 01:43)hk6230 Wrote: Steve, you're gong down a slippery road on USB cabling (and, maybe soon, add-on devices). You will have more sleepless nights ahead. [Tee hee hee]

Sorry please clarify as I am a little confused by your post.

I think he meant that there are so many options available.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(11-Oct-2015, 01:43)hk6230 Wrote: Steve, you're gong down a slippery road on USB cabling (and, maybe soon, add-on devices). You will have more sleepless nights ahead. [Tee hee hee]

Once you embark on this USB journey, after you have selected the USB cable to your liking, you will probably want to explore further with add-ons like AQ Jitterbugs, Uptone Regen, LPS for Regen, maybe even iFi USB3.0, etc. You will spend more money on all these. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(11-Oct-2015, 23:49)hk6230 Wrote:

Once you embark on this USB journey, after you have selected the USB cable to your liking, you will probably want to explore further with add-ons like AQ Jitterbugs, Uptone Regen, LPS for Regen, maybe even iFi USB3.0, etc. You will spend more money on all these.  Big Grin

No I am not really like that with my hifi. Once i buy something I do not tend to tweak. Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I believe any quality 90Ohm USB cable should be good enough. I believe you can get QED USB cable in UK, which I find is value for money.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I've been enjoying a Mapleshade USB cable. ( http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/USB-Cabl...ments/306/ ) Well constructed and not expensive.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
You could try a Curious cable at no risk. They are generating a lot of interest here in Australia (and elsewhere).
If you don't like it they will refund you in full.

http://www.curiouscables.com/

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. The dac chip in the Devialet doesn't require power from the usb cable. I've been in touch with Rob Woodland (the Curious cable guy) and he said

"You are correct, the separate gold coloured wire is the 5V power supply. And I can omit this from the design for you - no problem.
Alternatively, I can add an in-line connector that allows you to plug and unplug the 5V power. This may make the cable more versatile - for other applications requiring the 5V."
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
(13-Oct-2015, 03:49)gray Wrote: You could try a Curious cable at no risk. They are generating a lot of interest here in Australia (and elsewhere).

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. The dac chip in the Devialet doesn't require power from the usb cable. I've been in touch with Rob Woodland (the Curious cable guy) and he said

"You are correct, the separate gold coloured wire is the 5V power supply.  And I can omit this from the design for you - no problem.
Alternatively, I can add an in-line connector that allows you to plug and unplug the 5V power.  This may make the cable more versatile - for other applications requiring the 5V."

Are you really shure the Devialet dont need the 5V? I think I have seen somewere that it needs the minus of the 5V connected to sync with the usb. I can not find it right now but someone her will know for shure.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Some great ideas on here and it appears there is so much choice. I might just go with the chord silver plus for now and then try one of the other options later.

Thanks to all who contributed
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi, yes I do use that one. They even make one split into two USB's (if your computer has them side by side)
I've not spend time comparing them, but if it makes a sound I am happy with and does what it's supposed to.....
(13-Oct-2015, 08:50)octaviars Wrote:
(13-Oct-2015, 03:49)gray Wrote: You could try a Curious cable at no risk. They are generating a lot of interest here in Australia (and elsewhere).

"You are correct, the separate gold coloured wire is the 5V power supply.  And I can omit this from the design for you - no problem.
Alternatively, I can add an in-line connector that allows you to plug and unplug the 5V power.  This may make the cable more versatile - for other applications requiring the 5V."

Are you really shure the Devialet dont need the 5V? I think I have seen somewere that it needs the minus of the 5V connected to sync with the usb. I can not find it right now but someone her will know for shure.

This question pops up in almost every USB topic. Smile

Devialet needs the 5V for handshake purposes, so to detect an active host. It does not need it for power as the USB interface inside is powered internally. Once the handshake is done it only (besides the data pair of course) needs an active ground connecion to the host, either through the shield of the USB cable or (preferred) the ground lead (pin 4) of the USB cable.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands