Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1" (formerly know as "mystery PSU") is revealed
The UpTone Audio "UltraCap LPS-1" (formerly know as "mystery PSU") is revealed. Smile 

Read all about it here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-up...1-a-28609/

Not sure if I myself still have a need for it but I know others are interested in it as well.

$395,-/$380 without PSU
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks!

Interesting. I kind of figured there'd be an FPGA in there somewhere, it's the audio buzzword.... Smile
July orders anticipated. Guess it's gonna be a while for feedback....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

"mystery PSU" - Price $380 without PSU. That is indeed mysterious!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-May-2016, 17:15)Confused Wrote: "mystery PSU" - Price $380 without PSU.  That is indeed mysterious!

That's funny! And totally passed me by.
Well, at least the PSU to go with it isn't 2 grand. Could get into a very expensive infinite PSU loop otherwise. That said I'm sure two of them in series or parallel will sound much better.

I reckon we should order at least half a dozen as soon as sales start, which will trigger a Devialet announcement of some sort of internal PSU upgrade making them immediately redundant. Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(16-May-2016, 17:15)Confused Wrote: "mystery PSU" - Price $380 without PSU. That is indeed mysterious!

LOL Big Grin Big Grin

Yep, this is a PSU that needs to be fed by another PSU! Smile Read the post I linked to and it'll all become clear, if it wasn't already. Wink Of course the lower price is without the standard Meanwell SMPS PSU Uptone delivers with the Ultracap, for those people already owning one or any other PSU that can output 12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A or in fact any PSU that can deliver 18W at a voltage between 7.5V and 12V.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
But if one owns a Uptone JS-2 already (as I do), or indeed any other very good LPS, why would I want the Ultracap?
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(17-May-2016, 06:01)AllenB Wrote: But if one owns a Uptone JS-2 already (as I do), or indeed any other very good LPS, why would I want the Ultracap?

Good question! Well, my guess is you probably won't, not unless perhaps you needed something smaller/lighter.
I suppose there's a chance that it will be better than the JS-2? I sort of got the impression from their own posts that they were making out performance was about the same though.

I wonder if they'll publish any sort of specs/graphs....

(17-May-2016, 08:22)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(17-May-2016, 06:01)AllenB Wrote: But if one owns a Uptone JS-2 already (as I do), or indeed any other very good LPS, why would I want the Ultracap?

Good question!  Well, my guess is you probably won't, not unless perhaps you needed something smaller/lighter.
I suppose there's a chance that it will be better than the JS-2?  I sort of got the impression from their own posts that they were making out performance was about the same though.

I wonder if they'll publish any sort of specs/graphs....

Thanks Steve, yes I am getting the same impression, for example JS answered my same query with a focus on isolation of supplies from the DAC on the other side, rather than any benefit to SQ. I know the JS-2 is already a very good LPS (in fact you get two rails which can be very useful), I am suspecting that I should not need the Ultracap as well.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
What was pointed out by JS is that the two rails of the JS-2 share the same ground connection. This could break galvanic isolation under some conditions. (he also gave some examples, can't remember them but they're somewhere on CA).

The Netherlands