Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB vs AIR
(01-Jun-2020, 17:59)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you have a CI, I would advise you to try Airplay. (Like Out of Gum is recommending)

Airplay has the advantage of syncing the video with the audio, compensating of any delay due to the network.

This is how I watch video from my Mac or iPad when I want the audio on the Devialet.

Jean-Marie

Thanks Jean, I do found the AirPlay option, and yes it resolved the problem. But how is the sound quality in AirPlay? I heard it is one of the worst, like 256Kbps?
AirPlay is transmitting “CD quality” audio (16bit / 44.1kHz). Higher quality will be down sampled.
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
(02-Jun-2020, 01:42)PeppaPig Wrote:
(01-Jun-2020, 11:02)Pim Wrote:
(01-Jun-2020, 07:17)PeppaPig Wrote: Thanks Baldoun.

I changed it from 2000ms to the minimum value 50ms, it has improved but still not good enough, the longer I watch a youtube video, the more latency it appear, after few minutes I still can hear the voice 1 second after I pause the video. And I found when I set it to 50ms, sometimes it has some broken sound, not very often but it happens every 10 minutes.

Looks like AIR is only for music listening, I switched back to USB. Thanks for the inputs.
 If you can get your hands on a MIT Sl Matrix USB cable, you will be very surprised by how good USB can sound. I beats AIR hands down.

Thank you very much Pim, I checked the price... I think it over my budget, 600+ USD ... lol. Almost More expensive than my Mac mini cost.
You obviously haven't shopped for a Mac mini lately; they make a Nucleus sound like a bargain.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Jun-2020, 10:29)Out of Gum Wrote: AirPlay is transmitting “CD quality” audio (16bit / 44.1kHz). Higher quality will be down sampled.
I wouldn't call a higher bit rate than 16/44 higher quality.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
True true
(02-Jun-2020, 10:29)Out of Gum Wrote: AirPlay is transmitting “CD quality” audio (16bit / 44.1kHz). Higher quality will be down sampled.
I think it actually depends on how your audio is configured on the Mac, but anyway, it won’t go higher than 48kHz. 

on the Mac, everything goes through the core audio mixer before being sent to speakers, outputs and Airplay. 

jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(02-Jun-2020, 10:37)Pim Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 01:42)PeppaPig Wrote:
(01-Jun-2020, 11:02)Pim Wrote:  If you can get your hands on a MIT Sl Matrix USB cable, you will be very surprised by how good USB can sound. I beats AIR hands down.

Thank you very much Pim, I checked the price... I think it over my budget, 600+ USD ... lol. Almost More expensive than my Mac mini cost.
You obviously haven't shopped for a Mac mini lately; they make a Nucleus sound like a bargain.

Sorry Pim, I didn’t quite get you, do you mean Mac mini can be so expensive? I know some people upgrade it with the LPS power supply. but I don’t know if it’s worth it.

My Mac mini is a second hand 2014 model, works pretty well for me for its price. Actually no matter USB or AIR, they all sounds pretty decent. I was trying to get AIR working for video but the latency makes me give up.
(02-Jun-2020, 10:29)Out of Gum Wrote: AirPlay is transmitting “CD quality” audio (16bit / 44.1kHz). Higher quality will be down sampled.

Ok. I am happy with CD quality but I am not confident that AirPlay matches CD quality ...
Why is that?
(02-Jun-2020, 19:05)Out of Gum Wrote: Why is that?

Because AirPlay leave me an impression it’s not an audiophiles grade protocol. I think it’s transferring music in 256kbps ACC format? And it’s not but perfect like AIR.

I can be wrong...