Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Remote for Expert Pro?
Hi All,

While I love the Expert Pro remote, I am going to have family in town who are not too tech savvy. I am looking for a universal remote which will control the TV, Apple TV and Expert Pro. Given that the Expert Pro is not exactly "mass market" its been difficult to find compatible universal remotes online. 

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
The Devialet remote works over Wifi. Universal remotes do not support this and are usually only IR and sometimes RF so I don't think there are any options here.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(12-Oct-2018, 22:06)alaw Wrote: Install the iPhone app, and/or invite guests to install and use it. It works great for me, and its free Smile

I love the iPhone app,  but I have to “mother-proof” the system.  Tongue
(12-Oct-2018, 20:14)iamwappie Wrote: The Devialet remote works over Wifi. Universal remotes do not support this and are usually only IR and sometimes RF so I don't think there are any options here.

I don’t think that’s correct. I have wi-fi switched off on my amps and the remote still works. I’d always understood that they were RF.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(13-Oct-2018, 00:36)Axel Wrote:
(12-Oct-2018, 20:14)iamwappie Wrote: The Devialet remote works over Wifi. Universal remotes do not support this and are usually only IR and sometimes RF so I don't think there are any options here.

That can’t be correct. I have wi-fi switched off on my amps and the remote still works. I’d always understood that they were RF.

It's a wifi remote but you don't need the wifi input on the amp switched on for it to work.

You can certainly switch off the wifi input but that's an input for music signals and doesn't affect wifi reception for the remote. There's a separate control for turning the reception of signals from the remote off in the Remotes section of the configurator. Turning off the wifi input which is what you have done doesn't impact on the wifi connection with the remote.

As for turning things off in the remotes section, I won't guarantee that it will work. I accidentally discovered that turning the app control function off there in order to shut down control from the Devialet app didn't stop the app from working and when I queried Devialet support about that they said that function in the configurator is no longer active but that may only be for amps with the CI board such as mine. If that function is no longer active then perhaps it is no longer possible to turn the physical remote off either. I don't know because I haven't tested that and won't be testing it because I use the remote.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Strictly speaking, I believe it's 2.4 GHz ZigBee - that is to say, wireless but not Wi-Fi. It will use separate hardware to the Wi-Fi interface which is why the latter can be disabled without affecting the remote control.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(13-Oct-2018, 08:38)thumb5 Wrote: Strictly speaking, I believe it's 2.4 GHz ZigBee - that is to say, wireless but not Wi-Fi.  It will use separate hardware to the Wi-Fi interface which is why the latter can be disabled without affecting the remote control.

"Expert Pro Remote’s radio link operates in the 2.4 GHz bandwidth with optimal frequency diversity, whatever your country."
https://www.devialet.com/en-ch/expert-pro-remote/
Win Server 2012R (i3 3100, 16GB Ram), div. Player (Amarra4, JR23, BugHead, Stealth Audio Player e.a.) <  Devialet 200 < JBL Everest DD66000
Wi-Fi is Radio Frequency. Wi-fi is a term normally applied to the signal a wireless router transmits.

A router transmits in the 2.4 Ghz band and some also the 5Ghz band. The latter has less interference problems but attenuates quickly when a wall is in the way

The Devialet remote uses a small part of the 2.4Ghz band but is very low power - typically 1/80th of a watt so will not interfere with other 2.4Ghz equipment
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(13-Oct-2018, 16:50)chrisc Wrote: Wi-Fi is Radio Frequency.   Wi-fi is a term normally applied to the signal a wireless router transmits.

Realising I'm continuing a slightly off-topic discussion: although "Wi-Fi" is often used casually to refer to "wireless networking" in general, it is actually a specific set of protocols (defined by the IEEE).  There are other wireless networking protocols that operate in the same bands -- e.g. 2.4 GHz -- but are distinct from Wi-Fi; Zigbee is one.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Even more off topic....

Here in South Africa, the 403MHz to 433Mhz band is reserved for low power wireless devices like car and gate remotes. One of the best selling rolling code remotes used for gates, garage doors and alarm activation has an output of 1/40th of a watt. Similar to car wireless remotes.

This has led to thieves sitting in their car at a shopping centre car-park and waiting for someone to arrive in a car they intend to steal. As the car owner alights from his or her car, they activate a more powerful 433Mhz transmitter. Provided the target is less than 20 metres distance, this blocks the car's remote. Many people do not look back at the car to verify that the car has locked itself. Voila - an unlocked car and a good 10 mins in which to get in and steal stuff from the car, or even the car itself

Several friends and their wives have been caught like this. One had a 2-week old BMW X6. There one second and gone the next
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds