Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating to 1000 Pro
Ran into an unusual situation that allows for an upgrade from 250 Pro to a 1000 Pro.  Finding a second 250 Pro is not easy, there aren't many available, especially at a reasonable price (relative to cost of a new one). 

Should be in early next week.  Had to re-familiarize myself with the Configurator (Ugh).  Think I'm good to go there.  Took a little bit to work out the stereo sub out, but did get it.  

Very much looking forward to this.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
Congrats, I think the 1000 is great. I found it quite essential to use a good digital cable between them. For some reason that I don't really understand the difference is rather big.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(11-May-2023, 14:33)frejo Wrote: Congrats, I think the 1000 is great. I found it quite essential to use a good digital cable between them. For some reason that I don't really understand the difference is rather big.

Thanks.  Got any recommendations regarding digital cables?
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

(11-May-2023, 15:46)Redwingnine Wrote:
(11-May-2023, 14:33)frejo Wrote: Congrats, I think the 1000 is great. I found it quite essential to use a good digital cable between them. For some reason that I don't really understand the difference is rather big.

Not really. I have tried the Heimdall2 from Nordost with great result and now I am running a Tyr2. I dont think the improvement in sound is as big as the very high difference in price, but I got the Tyr2 at a great price. I have friends who use cables from Shunyata and Purist Audio and they are happy with that. And I know that some build their own with rca to XLR. It is probably best to try some for yourself. Please let us know if you also hear a difference.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(11-May-2023, 16:38)frejo Wrote:

Not really. I have tried the Heimdall2 from Nordost with great result and now I am running a Tyr2. I dont think the improvement in sound is as big as the very high difference in price, but I got the Tyr2 at a great price. I have friends who use cables from Shunyata and Purist Audio and they are happy with that. And I know that some build their own with rca to XLR. It is probably best to try some for yourself. Please let us know if you also hear a difference.

OK, thanks.  Will do.

Congrats! I went through the same upgrade myself a few years back and was lucky enough to find a second 250 Pro for sale.

The digital cable has a huge effect on the sound. I highly recommend using the RCA->XLR method. It sounds WAY better than the default RCA-RCA connection. There are various threads discussing this topic if you're interested.

I use an Audioquest Diamond AES cable with an RCA-XLR adapter at the source end. I've experimented a lot and find that lifting the ground pin of the XLR cable makes it sound even better, since the XLR (AES) input of the Devialet is transformer isolated. To prevent possible ground loops, I avoid using the trigger cable and avoid having any cable that connects the grounds of the Master & Companion units.

FYI, my 1000 Pro came with an Audioquest Carbon RCA-RCA stock. The stock trigger cable is also an Audioquest 3.5mm cable.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(12-May-2023, 09:54)hardcore Wrote:

Congrats! I went through the same upgrade myself a few years back and was lucky enough to find a second 250 Pro for sale.

The digital cable has a huge effect on the sound. I highly recommend using the RCA->XLR method. It sounds WAY better than the default RCA-RCA connection. There are various threads discussing this topic if you're interested.

I use an Audioquest Diamond AES cable with an RCA-XLR adapter at the source end. I've experimented a lot and find that lifting the ground pin of the XLR cable makes it sound even better, since the XLR (AES) input of the Devialet is transformer isolated. To prevent possible ground loops, I avoid using the trigger cable and avoid having any cable that connects the grounds of the Master & Companion units.

FYI, my 1000 Pro came with an Audioquest Carbon RCA-RCA stock. The stock trigger cable is also an Audioquest 3.5mm cable.
The amp arrived today.  Had to wrestle with the configurator a bit, but all is well now.

What a difference!  I wasn't prepared for the amount of improvement a second 250 provides.  I had D-Premiers in mono, and whilst that was great, this is an order of magnitude better.   Really noticeable when listening to symphonic music.  Piano takes on an air of realism that is astounding.  

Need to spend more time listening, but so far, its better than I had hoped for.

(12-May-2023, 09:54)hardcore Wrote:

I’d be interested to see what difference lifting the ground pin on the RCA-XLR cable between my 440s would make to the sound. Do you desolder the pin? Am I right in thinking that Ground is pin 1?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(16-May-2023, 10:19)Axel Wrote: I’d be interested to see what difference lifting the ground pin on the RCA-XLR cable between my 440s would make to the sound. Do you desolder the pin? Am I right in thinking that Ground is pin 1?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Axel, in summary, I've tried 2 ways:

1. You can buy an XLR ground lift adapter, cheap and effective.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-XLR-AES-...xperiments

2. If you use an RCA->XLR adapter at the source (Master) end, you can cut the ground pin cable there.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SPDIF-Cr...#pid102461

I suggest you try a non-permanent way first to see if it works without issue in your system. Test with high sample rate sources like 192KHz and DSD to check if there are any problems.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
I continue to be amazed by the difference between the 250 Pro and the 1000 Pro. Listening to the Berlin Philharmonic 25 Year anniversary box set, it almost felt like the performance was live. As good as the 250 is, never quite achieved that plateau.

It works exactly as well as I hoped it would.